VCU Summer Studio

soootired

Hello,

Considering Sculpture/Extended Media (but advice from either program would be great):

I've known of the existence of this program for some time now, but don't know of anyone who has actually attended (not VCU itself, but the summer session). If you, or someone that you know has had success that translated into being accepted to the school (or others) the following semester could you fill me in? Seems to be an abbreviated post-bac; I love the idea of studying with others, however, applying to residencies or working on my own would build experience as well.

Info. on finance if you've done this would also be valuable. 6K isn't bad, however if it's not eligible for installment payment, two months might be short notice + airfare/materials/food.

Not being lazy, just asking for peer advice. I know that institutions encourage questions, but there's a limit to that so I'd like to learn as much on my own as possible.

Thanks!

Hi. ive been lurking this thing for awhile and i havn't posted. I too applied to vcu and got the pre rejection/summer studio letter. I also applied to hunter and MICA and got rejected. Im still in undergrad at pratt for painting and contemplating if the summer studio would be a good idea for me. Or is it just a chance to spend money on experiance i could gain out side of school, and do they just offer it to everyone. i know that they give a thousand dollar scholarship which isn't very much. I think that vcu is such a great program and the summer studio would be a great opportunity to meet some of the facutly a vcu, i just can't get over the price. It almost as much as a year at vcu if your a virginia resident which i am. If anyone knows anyone whos gone i would love to here about there experience

I got rejected to VCU and Im pretty sure they mentioned something about the summer program(they sent the letter to my parents address)

I got the rejection/ summer invite too....I'm not going to do it. Besides the cost factor, I have a small child and I just can't swing it.

I participated in SSP last summer and LOVED it. I highly recommend the program. I would suggest applying. If you applied to the grad program you don't even have to send in any extra materials. After adding everything up, you will be spending a chunk of money over the summer but it is well worth it.

The program has individual critiques/studio visits with the instructors, art theory discussion sessions, group critiques and a professional practices seminar. The best part of the program is the other participants. We had a really great group of people last summer and I have kept in touch with several of them.

The program is great to help you develop your studio practice as well as make connections with other artists that are in the same place in their career as you are in yours.

I have heard of several people from last summer that have gotten into really great schools. I would think of the program as a great launching pad into grad school. The pro practices class focused on helping with resume/artist statement/random life thoughts etc. All of which seemed to help us figure out what in the world we wanted to do as artists and where we wanted to be.

Any other questions?

@fordr...If you are just finishing up undergrad, you are getting plenty of feedback. I wouldn't waste any money on anything that doesn't offer you credits towards your educational objective right now. Debt sucks and makes it harder to be an artist. (Unless you are rich, then waste money on whatever you want.) Just keep working after school as much as possible. If in a few years if you feel the need to be back in an institutional environment then consider something like a summer program. In the meantime you can look for residencies that don't cost anything. My strongest opinion is that there is no greater research for art than life. Go out into the world and live and make art. That's just my opinion though.

Hey guys,

I also completed the VCU SSP this past summer and thought it'd be worth it to give some input. First of all, I just want to say we all know 6 grand is a lot of money for a two month program, and based on the people in the program it was not like I was surrounded by a group of trust fund babies. So it is clear it is individuals who are willing to make somewhat of a financial sacrifice to have a critical discourse and feedback in ways they no longer can get. However, there are a few ways to look at it. On top of what you may pay to go to a graduate program the 6 thousand dollars can seem pretty nominal. Also, this program may in many ways help get into graduate programs with more funding. Obviously it depends greatly on the work you make, but individuals from this program have had a significant amount of success getting into great schools this year with good amounts of funding, including Carnegie Mellon, SAIC, Cornell, RISD, Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State, Washington, Rutgers, Syracuse, Alfred, and others. I haven't talked to everyone, but this alone is a pretty impressive list. Its not like these programs saw VCU SSP and were like "WE NEED THIS KID!" but the program definitely helped people understand and their develop their work in a way that made them great candidates and probably better artists. Also, you literally have a good sized studio in one of the best outfitted buildings in the country for art making. Whether you are a sculptor, printmaker, or painter, there is no shortage of resources around you as well as people willing to help. In terms of going directly out of undergrad, I did go the summer after my undergrad graduation and thought it was actually incredibly beneficial. Sure, if you went to RISD or SAIC for undergrad, it might not be as beneficial, but having the input of some of the best faculty when in a prime time to develop your work and voice as an artist I found to be fantastic. However, do realize I was one of the youngest individuals in the program and only one person was a recent grad. Long story short, I thought it was a fantastic experience, and given my success with my art development in the past year I am very thankful that I chose to participate in the program. By the way, just so you all know, just getting into SSP is a pretty good achievement. It is possibly the only program of its type, thus gets a great deal of applicants outside of those directed from the grad school apps. They only take 16 people out of well over 150 and possibly over 200 applicants i was told. Hope that helps!

Wow -- what great responses! Thanks everyone.

The program sounds great; the only thing that I'm thinking now is that with that 6k I could travel, invest in better shop tools, and add to my graduate account. That's why I was wanting to hear of experiences in the SSP and whether it might add that extra "ummph" that I could justify attending over applying to residencies or workshops. I just finished a program in December that had frequent guest critics/lecturers and was run somewhat like a graduate program including professional practices, so you're right in saying that it might be more of the same for someone like me that hasn't been removed from the routine for long enough.

On the other hand -- there was a very convincing argument for attending because of the acceptance results, new faces and feedback, and (my god) the shops. I get the impression that the invite to apply is a suggestion that the work needs to mature or be presented more cohesively in comparison to that of the accepted candidates. In other words, they might think that you are good enough to continue as an artist, but need to get rid of a few rough edges. So acceptances increase, because attendees are seen as polished and willing to take the next step.

Although this is not quite the same thing my former professor was rejected at MICA, attended post-bac at MICA, and was accepted the following year, so I wouldn't discount these programs and post-bacs as a waste of time. However, no guarantee and a lot of money. Sigh. Decisions.

Side: I applied not because of the rankings, but because the school seems to be the perfect blend for someone like me (part fluid/conceptual/experimental; part craftsmanship/crossed t's-dotted i's + affordable) that I don't see in a lot of programs at the moment. The VCU rejections were awesome! Two separate mailed out in the same week for the same application! Personally, I preferred the first letter....

• 1 month later...

I have a question about funding....My friend was accepted into the program and has some assistance, but still is short on being able to swing the entire 5k. Are their any other aid options besides private loans or whatever for something like this? I'd be interested to hear how you paid for your residency there. Does VCU do anything else besides the $500-1k scholarships?

Thnx!biggrin.gif

• 3 years later...

Hello all — 

I am attending the SSP in less than a month's time, and, having read all of your comments, appreciate all of the info. 

For any of you that have attended, I would I appreciate a run-down of the curriculum, as I cannot seem to find any information on such. On VCU's website, they explain the program as "seminars, studio visits, artist lectures, critiques, professional development and intensive studio time;" however, I was love more details. 

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all — 

I am attending the SSP in less than a month's time, and, having read all of your comments, appreciate all of the info. 

For any of you that have attended, I would I appreciate a run-down of the curriculum, as I cannot seem to find any information on such. On VCU's website, they explain the program as "seminars, studio visits, artist lectures, critiques, professional development and intensive studio time;" however, I was love more details. 

Thanks! 

hey eggieyoke, i attended SSP last year, it was a wonderful experience and reccomended for anyone who has been out of school for awhile and is considering returning for an MFA. I attended as a "trial run" for an MFA environment and to work on some new things and recieve targeted feedback, as well as uninterrupted studio time.

In terms of structure, SSP will likely vary year-by-year with the fluxing involvement of profs and visiting artists. Last year, the program worked out to usually include the following elements weekly:

1. what they were calling "pro practice" class (professional practices) , which was geared towards addressing various questions related to the arts industry: MFA programs, the gallery system (representation, shows, various makes and models), artist statements, fellowships and awards for artists. Last year, the conversation's direction was guided by the group's interests and specific concerns.

2. a seminar class, which might have its analogue in an MFA seminar--discussion based format with guided readings which will depend largely on who will be conducting the class. Last year, we had a diverse and enchanting reading list which ranged in thematic from contemporary responses to expanded art practices ( for example, brad troemel's  athletic aesthetics and michael sanchez' art and transmission) to george orwell's Big Brother to Werner Herzog to selections from annie truitt's Daybook. It was very rich. I've kept the packet of readings and dip into it every so often when I'm reminded of a thought or seeking inspiration.

3. studio visits. these were sign-up based and rotated between SSP's core faculty and the visiting artists, which are announced at the start of the program. last year we had visits by Corin Hewitt, Artie Vierkant, Karen Archey, Ester Partegas, Carlton Newton, and few others. Each of those visiting artists will also give an artist lecture/talk. Last year the visits were 30 minutes each. If you find studio visits to be essential to your process, I would sign up for as many as possible; even if you don't, the visits are useful practice for this ritualized interaction that will likely have to become a skill if you make the arts your career.

4.  critiques. these begin on a weekly basis a few weeks in. last year they were assigned randomized, though there was wiggle room and some trading and swapping amongst the group.

5. misc. artist talks/gallery visits/ BBQs + potlucks /screenings-- you should TOTALLY self organize and host social events, workshops, screenings--SSP was very open + encouraging in this regard....

in between and through all of that, you will have plenty of time to be in the studio, if you prioritize it. SSP faculty and the program manager Julie (<3) are responsive to your experience and at least last year, the format was flexible and could be adapted to meet the needs of the group, within reason.

if you have any more specific Q's, feel free to DM me.....