Assume rejection? Or no?

LuxAeterna01

Question

So some schools told me no right off, and those were schools I didn’t want to go to anyway. 

There are two in the running: one does provisional acceptance till you get a lab to take you, and the other is interviewing me and I’m just focused on putting my best foot forward. 

The rest, barring the deadlines that are in this month...I haven’t heard a peep. 

Do I assume rejection? I mean, UNC Chapel Hill at Gillings I know is hard to get in. But yeah.. 

Edited by LuxAeterna01

3 answers to this question

1 hour ago, LuxAeterna01 said:

So some schools told me no right off, and those were schools I didn’t want to go to anyway. 

There are two in the running: one does provisional acceptance till you get a lab to take you, and the other is interviewing me and I’m just focused on putting my best foot forward. 

The rest, barring the deadlines that are in this month...I haven’t heard a peep. 

Do I assume rejection? I mean, UNC Chapel Hill at Gillings I know is hard to get in. But yeah.. 

In my mind, don't assume rejection until you get rejected. You never know what's going to happen until it happens. Assumptions can be bad, and I definitely think they are bad in this particular situation.

Good luck!

I'm not sure that it's true across the board, but it appears that if a school really isn't interested in you, they send out the rejection letters pretty quick. If you don't hear anything from them, you were most likely put onto some kind of waitlist. This happened when I applied to the University of Tennessee (my top choice). I wasn't invited for an interview and my POI didn't know anything. However, I had heard back from my second choice and needed to give them a yes or no, so I emailed the department head to ask about my status. I was apparently at the top of their waitlist and they were still waiting to hear back on some offers. Had some applicants declined their offer, I would have been offered admission. I think the same thing happened with UNC, as I received an very late rejection from them as well. 

8 hours ago, shadowclaw said:

I'm not sure that it's true across the board, but it appears that if a school really isn't interested in you, they send out the rejection letters pretty quick. If you don't hear anything from them, you were most likely put onto some kind of waitlist. This happened when I applied to the University of Tennessee (my top choice). I wasn't invited for an interview and my POI didn't know anything. However, I had heard back from my second choice and needed to give them a yes or no, so I emailed the department head to ask about my status. I was apparently at the top of their waitlist and they were still waiting to hear back on some offers. Had some applicants declined their offer, I would have been offered admission. I think the same thing happened with UNC, as I received an very late rejection from them as well. 

Or they historically send their decisions late anyhow, as is the case for some of them. 

But I suppose I should focus on the things I do have instead of what I don’t. And I do have interview and am getting to know the others.