Heinz v Evans v La Follette

mppnw

Hello,

I am currently deciding whether to attend one of these programs or perhaps reapply next fall. If anyone has any information or opinions about these programs that they would like to share I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Hello,

I am currently deciding whether to attend one of these programs or perhaps reapply next fall. If anyone has any information or opinions about these programs that they would like to share I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

I looked at LaFollette and Heinz for this fall (and a lot of others), but have chosen Heinz. I'm a bit biased because I clearly like the program, but I do have quite a bit of information about it, specifically the DC-track program. What kind of things are you interested in knowing?

Thank you for responding! What factors made you choose Heinz? I was admitted to the 3 semester track based on work experience. I am very impressed with the quatitative/policy analysis aspects of the Heinz program but I am concerned that it might not be as strong in the more creative, philosophical, ethical, softer science aspects policy. I am interested in domestic policy, particularly the areas of education and health . Do you have any information about Heinz and education policy. I have noticed a lack of courses in this area at Heinz. Also, what do you know about Pittsburg? I am definately still considering Heinz and would appreciate any further information you might have.

Thank you for responding! What factors made you choose Heinz? I was admitted to the 3 semester track based on work experience. I am very impressed with the quatitative/policy analysis aspects of the Heinz program but I am concerned that it might not be as strong in the more creative, philosophical, ethical, softer science aspects policy. I am interested in domestic policy, particularly the areas of education and health . Do you have any information about Heinz and education policy. I have noticed a lack of courses in this area at Heinz. Also, what do you know about Pittsburg? I am definately still considering Heinz and would appreciate any further information you might have.

Well, first, I'm more than likely choosing Heinz because of it's fit for me, specifically with the DC-program. Also for perspective, I plan on studying energy policy, and the other schools that are still on my radar are IU-B and UMD-CP. That said, I would be considering CMU just as strongly if I wasn't doing the DC program (in fact, one point for Heinz is that I can drop out of the DC program and stay in Pitt if I so choose).

So first, I really like Heinz' quantitative focus. While my undergrad experience has been great, I don't have a lot of actual skills to put on a resume, which frustrates me. I can do research on my own, with faculty on campus or at other universities, to make up for any lack of research opportunities (I'm not sure you even have to worry about this though, as in the 2 yr program you can be a TA in the second year, and FWS positions are frequently RA positions). I could go to a school with more research opportunities or with more emphasis on softer policy aspects, but I can make up for a lack of that with individual readings while I can't make up for a lack of quantitative training. I'm not looking to get a phd - I want a job, and I want one right after I graduate - and I feel that Heinz will give me the training I need to get that. I'd suggest calling and asking about faculty in your field or taking classes outside the school - I'm under the impression that it is easy to cross-register. The curriculum looks pretty set in stone, but after talking to the director I found out that many courses are "mini" seminars that are 6 credits/half semester, so you actually have room for a lot of electives - even more if you can test out of some of the core.

Another great draw to the program is their career placement. CMU has awesome connections in the policy field. They host networking nights in Silicon Valley, NYC, Boston, and DC. They have a large amount of people in the public and private sector. There is a very nice career fair for policy -oriented folk in Pittsburgh each year. Heinz also sponsors a DC-colloquium for all students with two days of site visits, networking, and panels to get people into the field. They also have many on-campus recruiters. For the DC-program, every single student has been hired by the end of the summer except for 3 (1 went back to China, 1 went to law school, and 1 declined several offers until she found her dream position in January). The director of the DC-program is extremely dedicated to helping the 25 students in the program succeed.

Yet another draw for me is the alumni mentoring program. They do this program for both the Pitt and DC students, where you sign up and are paired with a local alum who is 5-10yrs into their career. I really like the connection this would give me to the area, and it is a great way to learn from someone in the field.

I also like the location of the school. CMU places people all over the country, so it wouldn't limit me to the beltway if I decide I want to stay closer to home and move to Chicago or Indianapolis. Plus, the school is only 6hrs from my family vs. 14hrs, so even though I'd be far away the second year, Pitt kind of serves as a stepping stone for me. The connections are national, not regional. Anyone in policy knows Heinz, and in environmental policy they are pretty well known as well. Plus, as an added bonus I'd get to take some technology policy classes, which could be interesting.

I was considering LaFollette strongly at first, especially since they are close to home. I like Madison and they have an international MPA with a certificate in energy policy. Despite those benefits, I got no funding at all, which disappointed me (it ends up being the same cost for me to attend UW-M as CMU). Even more, Wisconsin places people in Wisconsin or the midwest - only 4 students last year went to DC. While I don't necessarily have my heart set on living in DC, I certainly don't want to go to a school that makes it more difficult for me to work there. I wasn't impressed with the career placement services either - there seemed to be a lack of on-campus recruiting, networking incentives, and mentoring. Other regional schools like IU and Minnesota (another school I considered) take networking trips to DC each year (IU goes to Chicago as well).

That's just my two cents, on information gathered from websites and speaking with program directors. I ask a lot of questions so I end up with a lot of information; hope this helps somewhat! I'm also planning on going to the visit day for CMU (I was unable to go to MD's), and I'm waiting to accept until after I've met with everyone (especially financial aid). Are you planning on visiting?

Well, first, I'm more than likely choosing Heinz because of it's fit for me, specifically with the DC-program. Also for perspective, I plan on studying energy policy, and the other schools that are still on my radar are IU-B and UMD-CP. That said, I would be considering CMU just as strongly if I wasn't doing the DC program (in fact, one point for Heinz is that I can drop out of the DC program and stay in Pitt if I so choose).

So first, I really like Heinz' quantitative focus. While my undergrad experience has been great, I don't have a lot of actual skills to put on a resume, which frustrates me. I can do research on my own, with faculty on campus or at other universities, to make up for any lack of research opportunities (I'm not sure you even have to worry about this though, as in the 2 yr program you can be a TA in the second year, and FWS positions are frequently RA positions). I could go to a school with more research opportunities or with more emphasis on softer policy aspects, but I can make up for a lack of that with individual readings while I can't make up for a lack of quantitative training. I'm not looking to get a phd - I want a job, and I want one right after I graduate - and I feel that Heinz will give me the training I need to get that. I'd suggest calling and asking about faculty in your field or taking classes outside the school - I'm under the impression that it is easy to cross-register. The curriculum looks pretty set in stone, but after talking to the director I found out that many courses are "mini" seminars that are 6 credits/half semester, so you actually have room for a lot of electives - even more if you can test out of some of the core.

Another great draw to the program is their career placement. CMU has awesome connections in the policy field. They host networking nights in Silicon Valley, NYC, Boston, and DC. They have a large amount of people in the public and private sector. There is a very nice career fair for policy -oriented folk in Pittsburgh each year. Heinz also sponsors a DC-colloquium for all students with two days of site visits, networking, and panels to get people into the field. They also have many on-campus recruiters. For the DC-program, every single student has been hired by the end of the summer except for 3 (1 went back to China, 1 went to law school, and 1 declined several offers until she found her dream position in January). The director of the DC-program is extremely dedicated to helping the 25 students in the program succeed.

Yet another draw for me is the alumni mentoring program. They do this program for both the Pitt and DC students, where you sign up and are paired with a local alum who is 5-10yrs into their career. I really like the connection this would give me to the area, and it is a great way to learn from someone in the field.

I also like the location of the school. CMU places people all over the country, so it wouldn't limit me to the beltway if I decide I want to stay closer to home and move to Chicago or Indianapolis. Plus, the school is only 6hrs from my family vs. 14hrs, so even though I'd be far away the second year, Pitt kind of serves as a stepping stone for me. The connections are national, not regional. Anyone in policy knows Heinz, and in environmental policy they are pretty well known as well. Plus, as an added bonus I'd get to take some technology policy classes, which could be interesting.

I was considering LaFollette strongly at first, especially since they are close to home. I like Madison and they have an international MPA with a certificate in energy policy. Despite those benefits, I got no funding at all, which disappointed me (it ends up being the same cost for me to attend UW-M as CMU). Even more, Wisconsin places people in Wisconsin or the midwest - only 4 students last year went to DC. While I don't necessarily have my heart set on living in DC, I certainly don't want to go to a school that makes it more difficult for me to work there. I wasn't impressed with the career placement services either - there seemed to be a lack of on-campus recruiting, networking incentives, and mentoring. Other regional schools like IU and Minnesota (another school I considered) take networking trips to DC each year (IU goes to Chicago as well).

That's just my two cents, on information gathered from websites and speaking with program directors. I ask a lot of questions so I end up with a lot of information; hope this helps somewhat! I'm also planning on going to the visit day for CMU (I was unable to go to MD's), and I'm waiting to accept until after I've met with everyone (especially financial aid). Are you planning on visiting?

These are all good programs. I don't think you would go wrong attending any of them. Of the three, I looked closest at Heinz, and gave it serious consideration (I ultimately chose Chicago-Harris). If financial considerations are roughly equivalent, I would recommend going for 'fit'.