Notifying LORs of Outcomes

Jade

Hi - Long story short: I applied to six PhD programs and was rejected from five. The one acceptance came with 2 years funding and is where my recommenders work. I took it because it's my only offer and neither my wallet nor ego can take another application season of abuse.

I feel embarassed now that I have to update my LOR writers on the outcome. What have some of you said when stating your final stats? Any special advice on how to sound excited about the only place that would take you? unsure.gif Thanks for your help.

I planned to inform my LOR writers of all that happened, but after these 2 months I think I will just include the highlights: where I am going, maybe offer amounts from a school or two, and the slight controversy/hiccup that I experienced with one of my schools.

While I don't want to show off a rejection, I want to give them as much information as I think is useful. They will continue to write recommendations for others, and I think that my experiences (positive or negative) can be helpful to them. It's been awhile since many of them have applied, and many departments are unique in how they work, so I hope they can use me as a reference for the school I'm attending (or applied to) or just as a "here's what a student of mine said about _____".

I would certainly pass along anything you think could be useful for future students at your school, or to your LOR writers.

After all the hand holding that my LORs did for me and the umpteen SOP drafts that they read and suggestions that they gave, I felt it was only fair to tell them the whole story, rejections and all. I am not easily embarrassed, and did not take the rejections personally - <Harrumph!> - not much anyway (aside, after crying bucket loads that is) :P.