Duke v GW - MPP

This probably seems like a mildly absurd comparison, but my acceptances have come down to Duke and George Washington, and I am really tearing my hair out over this one. I'm seeking a Masters of Public Policy, and have visited both schools' Admitted Students days. Here's the Pro-Con list I have so far:

Duke/Sanford School

Pro: reputation/ranking; financial aid; strong alumni network, especially in DC; low cost of living

Con: Durham; only local opportunities for work/interning during school year; only full-time enrollment

GW/Trachtenberg School

Pro: Location; Consortium agreement with other DC Universities; opportunities to work/intern in DC year-round; flexible part-time option; transportation

Con: Lower ranking/reputation outside DC; high cost of living; no financial aid

Are there intangibles I'm missing? And at the Graduate School level, how much emphasis should I put on rankings and reputation? I don't want to throw away the opportunity to gain vital intern/work experience in DC concurrently with my education for a "big name" school that may or may not boost my future salary and job prospects. Thoughts? Thank you for your time :)

disclaimer: I have professional ties to Duke's MPP program

Having said that, I think it would be insane to PAY for GW and the cost of living in DC when you have financial aid at one of the best ranked programs at one of the best ranked Universities in the country.

Whether rep matters depends on what you plan to do post-program. If you plan on doing government/think tank/policy work then it matters. Granted, in D.C. you can network in the power center of the country. I do not discount that. However, I don't think the difference in profile and alumni connections warrants the cost! You will still have peers and alumni at Duke working for all the big agencies plus financial aid.

I think the emphasis at this point is about how many people does that school have places in positions and organizations where you want to work. Ask the DGS for a list of recent grads and their placements. Go through the faculty list and see what kind of names they have on their CVs. Also, ask about your cohort -- that is very important -- to see if there are valuable resources there that will benefit your work and your career trajectory.

And don't feel so down on Durham. No, it's not D.C. and, trust me, I'll be happy to move on. However, your money goes rather far and there really is at least one of most things that you will need and want.

disclaimer: I have professional ties to Duke's MPP program

Having said that, I think it would be insane to PAY for GW and the cost of living in DC when you have financial aid at one of the best ranked programs at one of the best ranked Universities in the country.

Whether rep matters depends on what you plan to do post-program. If you plan on doing government/think tank/policy work then it matters. Granted, in D.C. you can network in the power center of the country. I do not discount that. However, I don't think the difference in profile and alumni connections warrants the cost! You will still have peers and alumni at Duke working for all the big agencies plus financial aid.

I think the emphasis at this point is about how many people does that school have places in positions and organizations where you want to work. Ask the DGS for a list of recent grads and their placements. Go through the faculty list and see what kind of names they have on their CVs. Also, ask about your cohort -- that is very important -- to see if there are valuable resources there that will benefit your work and your career trajectory.

And don't feel so down on Durham. No, it's not D.C. and, trust me, I'll be happy to move on. However, your money goes rather far and there really is at least one of most things that you will need and want.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback - you made a lot of good points, and I really appreciate it.

Those are two of my schools as well for public policy/affairs, although I've got two others with better funding. Did you make it to the Duke open house? What were your impressions?

I did make it to the open house. The campus is beautiful, and for someone who went to bland, non-descript commuter campuses in San Diego, I was definitely impressed by the architecture and the facilities. Duke University has money and isn't shy about spending it. Just touring the student gym facilities and libraries can sell you on attending. The staff and student ambassadors were very friendly and really went out of their way to make sure that you talked with people studying in your intended field. As someone who is looking into Environmental Policy, I was practically dragged around during social mixers by student ambassadors to meet and greet with current MPP/MEM and Enviro Concentration students. The "breakout" sessions were also very helpful. Unlike GW's open house, Sanford School held breakout sessions for each major concentration, where you got to hear from professors and current students. There was also a very informative "student life" panel.

All in all, Duke and Sanford School were awesome. Any negatives I felt were either about the location (Durham) or based on my mood (exhausted from my West Coast flight and the all day open house). One of my few reservations has been about Durham itself, which on first glance is not an appealing place to live. Following that open house with my GW visit didn't help, since DC is such a dynamic and energetic city. Bad comparison. That said, I had very little time to explore Durham, and no rental car, so my first impression isn't very fair. And heck, the program is only two years long, and I think most of us could "tough it out" for two years in exchange for an awesome degree. If you have any specific questions, please let me know.

No problem.

A couple of things: You will need a car in Durham to best enjoy it and I made a comment in a post about Durham in the City Guide thread a couple weeks ago that has some places that I enjoy.

• 7 years later...