SIPA vs Sciences Po

Knotty

Hi all

I'm deciding between SIPA and Sciences Po. SIPA is a lot more expensive and I'm not sure if it's wise to incur such huge debt. On the other hand, I prefer SIPA's concentration and also, it's harder to find employment in Europe after graduation for non-EU.

Would like to hear your views on this. Thank you!:P

Hi all

I'm deciding between SIPA and Sciences Po. SIPA is a lot more expensive and I'm not sure if it's wise to incur such huge debt. On the other hand, I prefer SIPA's concentration and also, it's harder to find employment in Europe after graduation for non-EU.

Would like to hear your views on this. Thank you!:P

i've heard SIPA is more 'internationally' well known while sciences po may be more european. I'm applying to sciences po too and am hoping to work in europe for a few years after, then come back to the states.

are you applying for MPA or MIA?

<br />i've heard SIPA is more 'internationally' well known while sciences po may be more european. I'm applying to sciences po too and am hoping to work in europe for a few years after, then come back to the states. <br /><br />are you applying for MPA or MIA?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

MPA. What about you?

It will be great to be able to work in Europe of coz but heard that there are restrictions for non-EU.

<br /><br /><br />

MPA. What about you?

It will be great to be able to work in Europe of coz but heard that there are restrictions for non-EU.

I'm applying for a MIA. I don't have a lot of experience- finished undergrad last year and have spent the last year in an 'internship'. I'm hoping that a lot of international orgs (UN based, NGOs, etc) are more geared for international applications and thus the availability of jobs might be higher compared to private companies? i don't know. that's my hope anyways

I applied mid march, so i'm still waiting to hear back. how long did it take for you to hear back from sciences po?

• 3 weeks later...

Reviving this thread. The deadline for making the decision is coming and I'm still undecided.

I did not receive any funding from both schools. Both schools have different strengths. SIPA is in general more well known. Sciences Po is a very good school too but it's lesser known internationally.

However, I will incur a greater debt of approximately 30k-40k for the 2 years if I were to attend SIPA. Which school should I attend? Is SIPA worth the extra 30k-40k debt? :unsure:

Appreciate if someone could help. Thanks in advance.

Reviving this thread. The deadline for making the decision is coming and I'm still undecided.

I did not receive any funding from both schools. Both schools have different strengths. SIPA is in general more well known. Sciences Po is a very good school too but it's lesser known internationally.

However, I will incur a greater debt of approximately 30k-40k for the 2 years if I were to attend SIPA. Which school should I attend? Is SIPA worth the extra 30k-40k debt? :unsure:

Appreciate if someone could help. Thanks in advance.

Not to knock Po, but I think you'll get more mileage out of SIPA. Networking issues aside, I don't think you'll be necessarily at a disadvantage in Europe with a Columbia degree - or, conversely, at an advantage with a Po degree. I'm sure that if you make it clear to career folks at Columbia and your SIPA advisors that you want to work in Europe, they can at least point you in the right direction. NYC, with all the consulates, the UN, and an international NGO presence, has plenty of avenues for you to make European connections. Also, the only people who will really give you added credibility for choosing Po are the French, but since you're not a French national (I'm assuming), it won't really make much of a difference anyway.

I say go with SIPA. If you really want to go to a continental European institution, see if you can't put in an application to Geneva's Graduate Institute.

<br />Not to knock Po, but I think you'll get more mileage out of SIPA. Networking issues aside, I don't think you'll be necessarily at a disadvantage in Europe with a Columbia degree - or, conversely, at an advantage with a Po degree. I'm sure that if you make it clear to career folks at Columbia and your SIPA advisors that you want to work in Europe, they can at least point you in the right direction. NYC, with all the consulates, the UN, and an international NGO presence, has plenty of avenues for you to make European connections. Also, the only people who will really give you added credibility for choosing Po are the French, but since you're not a French national (I'm assuming), it won't really make much of a difference anyway. <br /><br />I say go with SIPA. If you really want to go to a continental European institution, see if you can't put in an application to Geneva's Graduate Institute.<br />

Thanks for your advice :)