Harris MPP v. SIPA MPA

ugachaca

Hi Everybody,

I'm looking to focus on economic policy (domestic slant), but strangely i give the slight edge to the SIPA curriculum even though it is regarded as having a bit more international flavor. There is a financial incentive in place to attend Harris and i currently reside in Chicago (enjoying it). Complaints are informally registered on these forums about both schools' administrations/career services, but of course I’m not sure if the individuals writing them are just expecting jobs/internships to fall in their laps. With that said, students at some schools rave about career services, so I think it’s fair to say from what i know that both are pretty average in this regard for tier one schools. Both very good with quant studies I gather. I think SIPA has a much larger alumni network and tradition vis á vis Harris, and this strikes me as the school’s biggest advantage over Chicago. Indeed, I think the SIPA reputation may have a slight edge over that of Harris, though I don’t really believe the quality of education of the former to be better. Not impressed with Harris’s facilities, but this isn’t a deal breaker.

SIPA will cost about 40-50K more to attend, so I’m really leaning towards Harris at this point. Perhaps I’m crazy to even consider SIPA, but I’m still agonizing and would like to hear some thoughts. Is there any reason for me to give SIPA the thumbs up over Harris given the above? I’ve received a decision extension and must make a selection by May 1st. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!!

Harris would be great for your stated interest. SIPA is not worth the debt. Go to Harris.

I will be attending SIPA this fall, and I will be choosing it over SAIS and CMU($). The stark prospect of debt does lie ahead of me, but I'm absolutely confident that this is the best route given my specific career interests and goals. What convinced me the most, to choose SIPA was some of the feedback I received from both current students and alumnus. I think talking to alumnus who have your current interest and are working in your preferred career will be your best bet. You can use networking sites to work your way around. Another way is to contact some of the current students in the SIPA message board. I was able to talk in detail with one of the students and was pleasantly surprised at the honest feedback he gave me. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out and direct you to some useful sources.

Harris is no doubt a great school and the money makes it a difficult choice to make. All the best !

I will be attending SIPA this fall, and I will be choosing it over SAIS and CMU($). The stark prospect of debt does lie ahead of me, but I'm absolutely confident that this is the best route given my specific career interests and goals. What convinced me the most, to choose SIPA was some of the feedback I received from both current students and alumnus. I think talking to alumnus who have your current interest and are working in your preferred career will be your best bet. You can use networking sites to work your way around. Another way is to contact some of the current students in the SIPA message board. I was able to talk in detail with one of the students and was pleasantly surprised at the honest feedback he gave me. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out and direct you to some useful sources.

Harris is no doubt a great school and the money makes it a difficult choice to make. All the best !

Harris grad here.

Harris and SIPA are similar in many respects (e.g. large programs, great faculty, strong economic focus), but for the OP I'd say two differences are important here: Harris's domestic policy strength/emphasis (vs. SIPA's strength in international), and funding. If the OP's policy interests were international and funding were equal, I would recommend SIPA. However, given the "domestic slant' of the OP's interests, I would recommend Harris without hesitation, even if the funding were equal. Harris has its pluses and minuses (like any program), but for the combination of economics and domestic policy, it is difficult to beat. Just my $0.02.