MSW Spring 2021

Hi All! I see a lot of MSW Fall 2020 posts but I wanted to check and see if anyone has started applications for Spring 2021. I'm interested in Hunter, NYU and Columbia's accelerated MSW programs. I'm really curious to know if anyone else is interested in these or applying to other Spring 2021 programs. Most grad schools have been extending their MSW application deadlines and I wonder if it's because of lower application numbers? 

I have volunteer / internship experience in human services right after college but then went into HR for 5 years. I hope I can connect all the relevant skills.

Let me know if you're applying!  

Edited by MoonageDaydream23

I've applied to Fordham for January admission.  Its the first application I've completed and I will hold off until next Fall if I don't make the cut. 

I do think schools are extending the application deadline because they have lower interest or deferments. I know that is what is happening at Rutgers. 

On 7/21/2020 at 6:07 PM, Paisley123 said:

I've applied to Fordham for January admission.  Its the first application I've completed and I will hold off until next Fall if I don't make the cut. 

I do think schools are extending the application deadline because they have lower interest or deferments. I know that is what is happening at Rutgers. 

It's a little scary with everything that's going on. I guess the only positive spin on this is that there are more chances for people applying to get in. Hope we both get in! 

On 7/20/2020 at 12:35 PM, MoonageDaydream23 said:

Hi All! I see a lot of MSW Fall 2020 posts but I wanted to check and see if anyone has started applications for Spring 2021. I'm interested in Hunter, NYU and Columbia's accelerated MSW programs. I'm really curious to know if anyone else is interested in these or applying to other Spring 2021 programs. Most grad schools have been extending their MSW application deadlines and I wonder if it's because of lower application numbers? 

I have volunteer / internship experience in human services right after college but then went into HR for 5 years. I hope I can connect all the relevant skills.

Let me know if you're applying!  

I didn't know Columbia had a spring start! I was holding off all my apps for fall 2021 because Columbia is my top choice.

On 7/23/2020 at 5:45 PM, meld42 said:

I didn't know Columbia had a spring start! I was holding off all my apps for fall 2021 because Columbia is my top choice.

Hi! Yes, it's an accelerated 16-month program though. Here are the semesters: Spring 2021, Summer 2021, Fall 2021 and Spring 2022. The summer semester allows you to graduate in 16 months. Field days and hours are the same as the full-time normal program. Applications are due in Oct I think. Definitely check it out! Here's the link: https://socialwork.columbia.edu/academics/msw-program/your-msw-pathway/16-month/

On 7/27/2020 at 2:16 PM, MoonageDaydream23 said:

Hi! Yes, it's an accelerated 16-month program though. Here are the semesters: Spring 2021, Summer 2021, Fall 2021 and Spring 2022. The summer semester allows you to graduate in 16 months. Field days and hours are the same as the full-time normal program. Applications are due in Oct I think. Definitely check it out! Here's the link: https://socialwork.columbia.edu/academics/msw-program/your-msw-pathway/16-month/

Thanks! That might help my decision :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Everyone! Wishing everyone good luck. 

I’ve applied to Tulane, USC, and Denver for online Spring-2021 part-time as I have a business in the mental health/addictions field, but I’m eager to be the best in the industry. Tulane/USC are equally my #1. Has anyone received decisions?

• 2 months later...
On 7/21/2020 at 6:07 PM, Paisley123 said:

Hey! I'm currently at Fordham if you have any questions.

On 8/18/2020 at 10:39 AM, Adamlance1394 said:

Hey Everyone! Wishing everyone good luck. 

I’ve applied to Tulane, USC, and Denver for online Spring-2021 part-time as I have a business in the mental health/addictions field, but I’m eager to be the best in the industry. Tulane/USC are equally my #1. Has anyone received decisions?

Haven't heard back yet, but hoping in a few weeks we will know. Good luck to you also! 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, colonelforbin said:

I have heard back from all the schools I applied to except Hunter. Has anyone heard back from them yet? 

Sadly no. I’ve also heard back from other schools. Current students at Hunter who did the same program said that we will hear back in early December. 

1 hour ago, MoonageDaydream23 said:

Sadly no. I’ve also heard back from other schools. Current students at Hunter who did the same program said that we will hear back in early December. 

That is unfortunate but thank you for the information it is helpful! I don't know anyone in the programs. Do you know if anyone has recommendations about what to do since other schools require a decision before then?

11 minutes ago, colonelforbin said:

That is unfortunate but thank you for the information it is helpful! I don't know anyone in the programs. Do you know if anyone has recommendations about what to do since other schools require a decision before then?

I would write the admissions team at Hunter an email and explain that it’s your top choice and you’d need to know if you’re accepted by _____ date. I’d also write your other school choices an email and ask for an extension. That’s what everyone has recommended. 

On 11/17/2020 at 8:48 PM, colonelforbin said:

Hi there! I was accepted yesterday. I hope you’ve gotten your acceptance or will get one soon! ??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!  Congrats to those who have received their acceptances!  I completed my application for the 16 month accelerated program at Hunter on October 23.  I have checked in a couple times, as I have had to give responses to other schools I was accepted to.  I haven't heard back about an interview or anything else.  Have others received answers, or are you still waiting to hear?