Do field placements for US Online MSW programs need to be in the US?

mrshappygolucky

I'm a Canadian living in Canada and have recently been browsing Online MSW programs from US universities. With the exception of a few places (e.g. Walden), it's indicated that Online MSW programs are only open to US citizens/permanent residents, but the on-campus MSW programs are open to International students. Is this because field placements need to be completed in the US, and therefore a Canadian like myself would require an F-1 visa to complete an internship making me only eligible for the on-campus program? I was hoping the flexibility of the online program would be extended to people out of the US. Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks!

13 hours ago, mrshappygolucky said:

I'm a Canadian living in Canada and have recently been browsing Online MSW programs from US universities. With the exception of a few places (e.g. Walden), it's indicated that Online MSW programs are only open to US citizens/permanent residents, but the on-campus MSW programs are open to International students. Is this because field placements need to be completed in the US, and therefore a Canadian like myself would require an F-1 visa to complete an internship making me only eligible for the on-campus program? I was hoping the flexibility of the online program would be extended to people out of the US. Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks!

Have you checked out the online program at the University of New England? I was looking at it as a backup if I didn't get in to the Laurier program and they allowed Canadian students to do placement in Canada. I think they had an agreement with CASWE that made it possible. Not sure if it's still allowed as this was a few years ago, but worth a shot.

2 hours ago, ErinCM said:

Have you checked out the online program at the University of New England? I was looking at it as a backup if I didn't get in to the Laurier program and they allowed Canadian students to do placement in Canada. I think they had an agreement with CASWE that made it possible. Not sure if it's still allowed as this was a few years ago, but worth a shot.

Thanks! Yes I've seen their website and it's great they allow placements in Canada too. I was just curious as to why the overwhelming majority of online MSW programs from the US are only open to US citizens/permanent residents. I wonder if it's because they want their grads to have US-based field experiences, which I understand. There are so many more online programs in the US which I also appreciate!