MSW San Diego State University

My top choice university is really jerking me around. I applied to the San Diego State University Master of Social Work program for Fall 2010. I more than exceed the minimum requirements needed- 3.4 undergrad GPA, a “5” on the analytical writing section of the GRE, and a good amount of social services experience/volunteer hours. I would love more than anything to get my MSW and become a school social worker.

I was wait listed a week ago, and beyond devastated about this, but still had some hope. Two days ago, the status in the portal changed to admissions denied. I called the graduate advisor and she said if the portal says that then yes, I was denied. She said that I could apply again next year and try to get more experience. She said she will request that the director review my file and let me know if it's just more experience I should concentrate on.

THEN....Yesterday, I spoke to the MSW program admissions coordinator and she assured me that I am still on the wait list and have not been cut. She pulled my file up while we were on the phone and told me not to give up yet. She said that the university updated the status in the student portal to say admissions denied for the time being for anyone who had not been accepted to a program by May 1st. She said I will remain on the wait list and could still be selected up until the program starts. If I am accepted to the program, the portal would then be changed. I cannot believe this...I am happy to hear this but very confused. I'm annoyed that the graduate advisor would misinform me like that and just crush my dreams without knowing what was really going on. I had spent most of the day crying and feeling depressed.

Cross your fingers for me guys..

Hi Kristen,

I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone - I was also waitlisted at SDSU. I have a lot of volunteer/social services experience, and a high undergraduate GPA. I would not have found out about my status if I hadn't e-mailed to ask when I would hear, and then heard back from the graduate assistant in admissions via a very informal e-mail. My portal status also reads as "denied."

I'm quite dismayed by the amount of misinformation within the MSW admissions department.

Good luck!

• 11 months later...

Congrats on getting in! Perserverance definitely does pay off. I'm planning to go out and visit the school, looking to do my masters there. Do you know of any San Diego Hotels that are close and would be good to stay at? Or do you know anything about the Se Hotel San Diego, I heard it was a good place for younger people to stay at. Either way, I can't wait ot visit the school, and again, congrats!