MIT IDM Fall 2021

flashdrive

Hi all, Myself and my colleague who applied both got the e-mail update about reviewing applications as well, but nothing else.

Me: I have an educational background in physics and 4 years professional experience as a synthetic chemist. Work at a start-up currently, national lab previously. Looking to shift to product design/development focused on renewables.

@YachtRock12 I spoke to a member of the current cohort, probably middle of last year. She said it's an intense program, but does have a different vibe than the rest of MIT. Because its so young as a program, it's still a choose-your-own-adventure kind of experience, along with the pros and cons of something less established (developing culture, etc). Did the legwork to get a TA position after her first semester. Overall, she seemed pleased to be there.

20 hours ago, chlobop said:

Hi all, Myself and my colleague who applied both got the e-mail update about reviewing applications as well, but nothing else.

Me: I have an educational background in physics and 4 years professional experience as a synthetic chemist. Work at a start-up currently, national lab previously. Looking to shift to product design/development focused on renewables.

@YachtRock12 I spoke to a member of the current cohort, probably middle of last year. She said it's an intense program, but does have a different vibe than the rest of MIT. Because its so young as a program, it's still a choose-your-own-adventure kind of experience, along with the pros and cons of something less established (developing culture, etc). Did the legwork to get a TA position after her first semester. Overall, she seemed pleased to be there.

Good to know! I spoke to a few IDM graduates recently and was disappointed to learn that not all of their experiences in the program were positive.

2 hours ago, YachtRock12 said:

Good to know! I spoke to a few IDM graduates recently and was disappointed to learn that not all of their experiences in the program were positive.

Why was that? Is it because its not too well structured?

14 minutes ago, wemuns said:

I did not receive the email where they mentioned they are reviewing the applications....However, I got an invitation for an interview!

Thanks for sharing! When did you get the invite if I may ask?

Just curious

Do any of you have experience less than 3 years?

I have 2 years full-time experience and 1.5 years of part-time experience along with an experience of running my own start-up (not too big scale) for 2 years while I was in undergrad. 
Do you think this will count towards their requirement of 3 years experience? To be honest the interview was a bit of a surprise to me as they mentioned in the webinar that I had attended back in November that I should wait for another year to apply.... so keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it goes well! 

35 minutes ago, azure_ said:

thanks for sharing! may I ask what's your background among the three?

Hey! I don’t know if you were asking me or aqudon, but I am from a design background. What is your background? 

7 minutes ago, wemuns said:

Hey! I don’t know if you were asking me or aqudon, but I am from a design background. What is your background? 

thanks wemuns! was asking you (figuring out the "quote" feature).. i'm from design background too! good luck for your interview!

On 3/5/2021 at 4:05 PM, wemuns said:

I did not receive the email where they mentioned they are reviewing the applications....However, I got an invitation for an interview!

Hey, this is great news! Best of luck for the interview! 

I am just curious, do you happen to remember when did you apply?