MPP/IP at GrasPP, University of Tokyo

cee123

Anyone here who has applied/currently applying/will apply for the programme? I noticed that it's one of the few Japanese universities which doesn't really require a comprehensive research plan, unless thru MEXT, but (from what I've gathered) the competition is quite stiff.

Hope to pick your brains..

Edited by cee123

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jessi_zj said:

hi there:) I am currently applying for the program and have just finished the interview yesterday. applied for mext as well. will share more information when I got my results.

cool! how was the interview? for the mext - was it via embassy or unversity?

2 hours ago, Jessi_zj said:

hi there:) I am currently applying for the program and have just finished the interview yesterday. applied for mext as well. will share more information when I got my results.

Hi! I had my interview this morning. Which category did you apply for - fresh graduates and early career professionals or professionals?

1 hour ago, coffyfy said:

professional :) how did your interview go? 3 professors were in the interview and took probably around 15 mins only. 

same here. they asked me to first talk about statement of motivation/ career plan/ research interest by myself. and then each of them asked one question only. those questions seems quite general, not specifically related with my statement tho. they said the results will be posted on the webpage March 1st, hope to hear good news from you (and me too! ) btw, do you know any source/ forum that students share information about MPP/IP program? 

On 2/16/2021 at 7:30 PM, Jessi_zj said:

I ams a fresh graduate :) how about you?

On 2/17/2021 at 7:13 AM, Jessi_zj said:

same here. they asked me to first talk about statement of motivation/ career plan/ research interest by myself. and then each of them asked one question only. those questions seems quite general, not specifically related with my statement tho. they said the results will be posted on the webpage March 1st, hope to hear good news from you (and me too! ) btw, do you know any source/ forum that students share information about MPP/IP program? 

Hey,  glad i could find someone atleast here.

How was the experience as a fresher applying? 

Also how good were the gre scores? 

also does the undergraduate stream really matter

would love to connect,  i am considering applying for '22

17 hours ago, almighty said:

there isn't anything too special with the application experience honestly. (the mailing could be a little extra work) I'm not sure if the gre scores matters that much but mine is 330+. I think what you've learned in undergraduate isn't as much important as expected, (mine is communication and international relation) as long as you make sense about your motivations and career path in your statement.

haven't heard back so far, will share more information when I got my decisions.

On 2/24/2021 at 10:56 PM, almighty said:

Hi! I'm not a fresh grad but just wanted to share that my undergrad degree isn't related to public policy. My work experience isn't even explicitly related to my undergrad degree... I probably just used about 10-20% of what I learned in school ? (thanks to globalization).

Point is, I think if you're able to connect and explain thoroughly your decision/motivation in pursuing public policy (and why choose it instead  of all the other "more" relevant fields), I think you'll be okay. Show them (through your SOP) that your interest in public policy is real :)

hi guys, just to update that I got the offer mpp/ip with Mext scholarship and I have decided to go. I'm happy to help if you have questions about the application.:) and future alumni! dm your instagram if you also would like to connect :)!

On 3/8/2021 at 4:24 AM, ksfgota said:

Hey nice to see some fellow applications to UTokyo. I'm applying for an engineering masters program but just wanted to say hi. I am wondering actually if anyone knows how long we have to accept an offer. 

mine has an attached file which says no later than March 23rd. not sure if there are differences among programs tho. 

2 hours ago, Jessi_zj said:

hi guys, just to update that I got the offer mpp/ip with Mext scholarship and I have decided to go. I'm happy to help if you have questions about the application.:) and future alumni! dm your instagram if you also would like to connect :)!

congrats!! when did you receive the offer? was wondering if you applied for mext simultaneously? 

would love to hear your experience in the process.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Jessi_zj said:

Hey congrats! I just got the offer too and will be enrolling! Will dm 

Same I'd love to answer any questions for future applicants (engineering here) :) 

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/17/2021 at 9:43 AM, Jessi_zj said:

Hello! Sorry to disturb you. I am the applicant of this program 2023(also a fresh graduate), and I have made it to the interview round. I am nervous about the preparation for the interview now. Will the interviewers ask some academic questions according to your major? Or will they ask you to explain the meaning of proper nouns for politics or economics? Looking forward to your reply!

• 1 month later...

Heyy,

I hope your interview went well and you got admitted! I'd be very grateful if you could share your interview experience with me :) I applied for the Dual Degree between Graspp and Sciences Po and will have my interview next week. I'm quite nervous about it as I have no idea what it will be like, so having your insight would help a loot. What kind of questions did they ask? Are questions rather related to your statement of purpose, CV and motivations or are there also questions related to specific knowledge in your field / Public Policy? And how long was your interview?

Thanksss in advance in case you're reading this! <3

On 2/1/2023 at 6:50 PM, Neno said:

Hello! Sorry to disturb you. I am the applicant of this program 2023(also a fresh graduate), and I have made it to the interview round. I am nervous about the preparation for the interview now. Will the interviewers ask some academic questions according to your major? Or will they ask you to explain the meaning of proper nouns for politics or economics? Looking forward to your reply!

Heyy,

I hope your interview went well and you got admitted! I'd be very grateful if you could share your interview experience with me :) I applied for the Dual Degree between Graspp and Sciences Po and will have my interview next week. I'm quite nervous about it as I have no idea what it will be like, so having your insight would help a loot. What kind of questions did they ask? Are questions rather related to your statement of purpose, CV and motivations or are there also questions related to specific knowledge in your field / Public Policy? And how long was your interview?

Thanksss in advance in case you're reading this! ❤️