How does one determine safety/target/reach? (MSW/MAIS programs)

rachicken

Question

Hi all,

I'm applying to programs in social work/international policy for fall 2022, but I feel like the list I have right now are all reach schools (based on their national ranking, yield, competitiveness for undergraduate students etc). I've scoured the internet for resources or info for metrics of accepted applicants but it's incredibly hard to find any for masters/PhD students. How do you folks determine whether not a school is actually safety/target/reach? 

For reference:

Schools/programs on my list right now are UW Seattle MAIS and MSW programs, Stanford Ford Dorsey Masters in International Policy, UMich, UPenn, UChicago, SFSU, and CSULB. I have my eyes set on the MSW/MSSP Dual Degree program that UPenn offers, and tentatively have UC Berkeley on the list as well

Academics: International studies and History double major at a public flagship university, classified among AAU as an R1 - 3.83 GPA, graduated cum laude. A graduation requirement was to write a policy recommendation based on a current international issue, and my group researched the topic of Indigenous-lead social movements to block pipelines

Work/volunteer: I graduated this June, but have worked/volunteered/interned with many organizations focused in driving social change by engaging communities. Very active in the nuclear abolition activism space. Interned with a nonprofit that furnishes homes of individuals and families affected by homelessness. Working with a local nonprofit that supports AAPI survivors of sexual and domestic abuse, currently in a project funded by said nonprofit that supports immigrant massage parlor and sex workers. Currently I'm also an intern at the Federal Aviation Administration (not a very relevant work experience but a good resume builder I think?)

Misc: I speak Mandarin and English fluently, and I can speak a little bit French as well. I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I 100% plan on doing so; LORs will be from professors from my undergrad and from folks at the nonprofits I've worked at; SOP will probably outline how I realized after years of academic discourse about social justice and shying away from movements driving social change, preferring to be isolated in my ivory tower bubble that community organizing is a tried and true way to be the change you want to see

I am very new and fresh to this game. I think I'll definitely try to get in touch with an advisor haha. Thank you in advance!

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet