Worth pursuing a PhD in Anthro (Socio-Cultural)

anthrobound

Yes, I have passion for this field of study, but the current economy and job market doesn't fully support a doctorate, particularly in anthro. Any resources (ie articles, blogs) that discuss the pros/cons of pursuing a doctorate in anthro? I already have a MS in a field that I don't enjoy so I'd really need to be certain that all the time/money is worth it. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I would check out the Savage Minds blog. I spent some time reading posts earlier today after I came across it, seems to primarily focus on cultural anth. If you scroll down to the very bottom of the home page, there's a list of categories, some good stuff under academia or academics, can't remember what it's called. Some of the posts I read today center around "top schools" (Michigan, Berkely, etc) and whether or not the PhDs they are producing are hire-able. Most of the not-hire-able arguments center around that their programs may be more focused on theory rather than methods, application and teaching. The latter being what makes people good candidates for teaching positions at the majority of schools. That's just a brief brief brief summation of what I gleaned from the blog comments. Cheers!