In Over Head Looking at Grad Schools

blueyonder

I will be a senior at a small (fairly challenging) liberal arts college this fall. I've been studying for the GRE and am beginning to compile a list of schools and programs to research with the intention of slowly honing in on the few places I would apply to. Sounds simple right? Well, I feel like I'm in the middle of the Pacific right now. I really just don't know where to look, what to look for, etc. My school, though very well respected, is very small -- our pre-professional committee consists of one person who has spread herself way too thin and is impossible to contact and really get any guidance. I don't want to waste time or money applying to programs that are not at my caliber -- I want to get in somewhere, but not just anywhere. Is there an easy way to determine what sort of 'stats' certain programs admit?

I have a 3.2 - 3.3 overall, ~3.5 science, my own 2 year funded research project under an advisor, worked as a lab tech at school, should have 3 good recs from 3 professors that I'm close with. I've yet to take the GRE, I'm not a good standardized test taker, and even though I've been studying, I'm unsure of how well I'll do. I'm interested in Cell/Molecular/Genetics. It sounds like these programs are more competitive than most. I would love to go into that area, but if I'm not going to be able to make it in then thats life and I'm fine with that. I've become surprisingly in love with biology/science, and would honestly love about any area of study (I literally got 100% in conservation biology last semester and would love to go into that). I'm in MI, and would prefer to stay in the midwest (as sad as that may sound), but would leave if necessary.

I'm looking at schools like MSU (molecular and forensics biology), Wayne (molecular), CMU (conservation). I just really don't have a clue where to look. There are so many schools, with so many programs, and none of them are capable of constructing a well organized website which just makes life more difficult. Do I have even a prayer getting into a decent molecular (or similar) program? I know its good for you to be set on what particular program you want to go into, but I could honestly flip a coin between conservation and molecular areas of study -- I'm kind of a dork and just love it all, and I've had significant course work in both areas. Should I even bother looking at PhD programs? I feel so in over my head right now! I would really, really appreciate any advice or insight. Thank you!!

Should I even bother looking at PhD programs? I feel so in over my head right now! I would really, really appreciate any advice or insight. Thank you!!

Oh yes, definitely look at PhD programs. If you're uncertain of yourself (I was), try to pick out a few schools that let you do a terminal MS--i.e. allow you to bail out of a PhD program with something to show for it!!

Your GPA may be moderately low and you may bomb the GRE*, but it sounds like you have plenty of research experience, and that will open a lot of doors.

*But don't bomb it. Study, and most especially learn the test-taking tips taught in the Princeton Review book.

There might not be specific programs for this, but there are definitely faculty studying conservation genetics. My suggestion is try to find faculty doing research you enjoy, with the program field as secondarily important. I don't know if you have a specific plant/animal/microbe affiliation, so look in plant, ecology, straight biology, and entomology programs.

From what I know, research is most important when applying to a lot of biology programs. Your GPA is good, but be sure to get a solid GRE score so there is no second-guessing. I think a score 1300+ would be the safest bet.

Once you have your program list (don't worry, it'll come together! - it took me 2-3 months to finalize mine and even then I added in 1 last minute), just tailor each SOP. Your foundation in each should be the same (conservation + genetics), but maybe if you're applying to a genetics program, veer the SOP a little more in that direction, and vice versa with any other program. I think the key here is to be knowledgeable about the program's faculty and making that clear in your SOP.

Granted, I'm approaching this as someone in a field that I had to communicate with faculty beforehand (usually - sometimes faculty approached me after I applied saying they had an opening and funding). UMass OEB required I had an application sponsor, for instance, so I had to ask a faculty I had been in communication with to let me cite her in SOP as my sponsor. But I think in some other fields there are rotations in the first year (genetics, maybe?), so having a sponsor, or really previous communication, isn't very necessary. I still think it's a good idea though to mention 2-3 faculty in your SOP as a reason why you're a good fit, even if you don't end up working with them.

I know that Society for Conservation Biology has a searchable database of academic programs (found here: http://www.conbio.org/Resources/Programs/). You should be able to search the faculty database for genetics, which would give you a good list of active researchers doing conservation genetics (and where they are currently teaching). I'm sure other societies have similar resources.

Thank you for all of your feedback!

Is it a good idea to contact professors now? I don't want to bother them, but I feel like a personal contact will help bring my application "to life" in a sea of anonymous applications. Maybe a quick email perhaps?

Another thing -- I would assume its better to apply early. Most schools don't even look at apps until January. Is this pretty much a general rule, or do some do rolling admission? I ask because I'm stuck in the game of, "do I wait and study more for the GRE, or apply earlier but risk a lower score?" Or maybe its good to have a score on hand when talking to professors? What do you guys think?

Thank you for all of your feedback!

Is it a good idea to contact professors now? I don't want to bother them, but I feel like a personal contact will help bring my application "to life" in a sea of anonymous applications. Maybe a quick email perhaps?

Another thing -- I would assume its better to apply early. Most schools don't even look at apps until January. Is this pretty much a general rule, or do some do rolling admission? I ask because I'm stuck in the game of, "do I wait and study more for the GRE, or apply earlier but risk a lower score?" Or maybe its good to have a score on hand when talking to professors? What do you guys think?

I think it's a good idea to contact professors now and explain that you're planning to apply and that you'd like to talk to them about their research. I did this last August, and I found the contacts and info invaluable. It shows that you're serious about their program, and it might help you figure out whether you'd fit in their lab.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think PhD programs generally have rolling admissions. All of the programs I applied to looked at their applications after the deadline, invited some people to recruitment weekend or an interview in February-ish, and then sent out offers in March. If you contact professors now, I doubt they'll even ask about GRE scores, and even if they do, it'd be perfectly reasonable to say that you'd scheduled it but hadn't taken it yet. It'd be better to take the GRE when you've had adequate time to prepare than to rush into it before you're ready.

I don't know molecular biology from a hole in the ground, so this is all I've got to contribute:

Don't limit yourself in your range of schools. Reach as high as you possibly can. Wondrous things can and do happen. Though you may have doubts in the strength of your application, admissions are a human-based process. Who knows what an admit committee may be looking for?

By way of self-aggrandizing example, I applied to four grad schools: one sure thing, two maybes, and a reach. I didn't think I had a chance in hell at the reach school, but I wanted to look back and know that I'd tried to give myself as many options as possible. I flew across country to visit one of the maybe schools and, even though I was within spitting distance of the reach school, I didn't bother visiting because "no way will I get in there. I don't want to waste the time and money visiting a school I could never get into."

Imagine my shock when not only was I admitted to the reach school, but also awarded a one-per-year full-ride fellowship. You coulda knocked me over with a feather.

Try, try - always try.

Your GPA isn't too bad. But what will get your foot in the door is your research experience and your letters of rec. I sit on the AdComm at my institution and you have a hard time getting a spot if you don't have prior research experience. You should do fine.