Chances for getting accepted MS Meche

softlan

1. 1. Do I have a chance?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe, if you buckle up!

Hi

I’m a Norwegian undergrad student at a university college of acceptable standards. I’m taking my bachelor in mechanical engineering and starting on my last year now.

My grades ranks me at least in the top 5 of my class, I have done some TA work in mechanics, I'm receiving a small grant for straight A's in all my mathematic courses, doing a summer internship at Statoil (the #1 desired employer for engineering and business/economics students in Norway) and I'm going to teach high school students mathematics this fall and next spring.

I have very little knowledge of American admissions processes at top universities but I was hoping some of you guys could maybe estimate my chances for admissions?

I’m thinking of applying to MIT, Stanford, Berkeley and Caltech.

So far I have learned that I will have to take an IELTS test and GRE General Test.

But some have said that since I’m from Norway I don’t need to take the IELTS test (we have 10 years of mandatory English in school and mostly all of our literature at undergrad level is in English). Does anybody know if this is true?

Do I need to take (or to put it this way: would I benefit of taking) a GRE Subject Test?

Is there a quota system for international students at American universities?

I would be very grateful for helpful answers!

Edited by norwegianundergrad