Can low grades get an offer rescinded?

ksbread

Question

I got into my dream PhD school for Chemistry and I'm super excited! I've been talking to a PI there whose research I love, and I am going to accept their offer soon. Something that worries me is that last Fall I got 2 C+'s in my classes. They were in math classes, but I am a Chem/Math double major going into computational research. It was generally a tough quarter; I was taking 4 units above our unit max, plus grad school apps, plus it was the first quarter back in person. My grades are going back to normal this quarter. I've been a general A and B student, and this didn't dip my overall GPA too much, but I'm worried they'll rescind me if they see it. Has anyone ever been rescinded for something like this?

1 answer to this question

The short answer is no, and that you’re overthinking this. If you fail a course and as a result do not graduate, then that would obviously be a problem. However, as far as I know, PhD programs in STEM aren’t going to ask for your final transcript. What matters most to them is how they think your research quality will be, and getting a C+ in a math class really won’t change that. Everything will be fine, don’t lose sleep over this :).