UMass Amherst MS CS vs Boston Univ. MSAI vs Northeastern MSAI for future Comp. Sci research dreams

Hey there.

I applied to a few PhD programs and a few masters programs. I got denied from all of the PhD programs including the Umass MS/PhD program, but they admitted me for the masters program.

I want to eventually transition to ML research.

My hunch is that the BU and NU programs are fine, but are really primarily designed for getting you into industry with that fancy masters degree which I don't really care about. I am already in industry with my fancy undergrad degree from NU.

I am guessing that my ability to weasel my way into a lab would be higher at UMass Amherst and therefore my chances of getting good letters of recommendation a year later when re-applying for PhD programs would also be better.

I am definitely an outsider to the world of computer science academia so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by CompSciNovice

• CompSciNovice changed the title to UMass Amherst MS CS vs Boston Univ. MSAI vs Northeastern MSAI for future Comp. Sci research dreams
20 minutes ago, CompSciNovice said:

Hey there.

I applied to a few PhD programs and a few masters programs. I got denied from all of the PhD programs including the Umass MS/PhD program, but they admitted me for the masters program.

I want to eventually transition to ML research.

My hunch is that the BU and NU programs are fine, but are really primarily designed for getting you into industry with that fancy masters degree which I don't really care about. I am already in industry with my fancy undergrad degree from NU.

I am guessing that my ability to weasel my way into a lab would be higher at UMass Amherst and therefore my chances of getting good letters of recommendation a year later when re-applying for PhD programs would also be better.

I am definitely an outsider to the world of computer science academia so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

I didn't really see a question here. Just you thinking out loud... ? I do like your thoughts about UMass. My question to you is how much does money/finance weigh into this? As in, are you in need of employment now, or can you go a year without significant employment income while pursuing a Masters?

Thanks for replying!

Yeah, sorry I should have been more explicit. I want to check my assumptions here.

I am assuming that Northeastern and BU's masters programs are really primarily designed for industry, and not for research. UMass Amherst has quoted to me that 25% of their students do go on to become PhD's. That seems high to me.

It seems like, if I want to focus on research, that would be a better fit. HOWEVER, I don't actually know if the BU and NU programs are actually bad for transitioning into research and academia. So here are my questions:

Do you (or anyone else!) know how the masters programs I have listed here end up working for someone who wants to transition to a PhD program?

Other than weaseling into a lab in my research area, are their other criteria I should be considering?

Do you know how hard it is to become a research assistant, even with no pay, at these respective programs?

As for finances. I will be fine financially and I want to weigh that separately from the merit of the programs on their own. Although that instate tuition at UMass Amherst is calling my name.

3 hours ago, CompSciNovice said:

Thanks for replying!

Yeah, sorry I should have been more explicit. I want to check my assumptions here.

I am assuming that Northeastern and BU's masters programs are really primarily designed for industry, and not for research. UMass Amherst has quoted to me that 25% of their students do go on to become PhD's. That seems high to me.

It seems like, if I want to focus on research, that would be a better fit. HOWEVER, I don't actually know if the BU and NU programs are actually bad for transitioning into research and academia. So here are my questions:

Do you (or anyone else!) know how the masters programs I have listed here end up working for someone who wants to transition to a PhD program?

Other than weaseling into a lab in my research area, are their other criteria I should be considering?

Do you know how hard it is to become a research assistant, even with no pay, at these respective programs?

As for finances. I will be fine financially and I want to weigh that separately from the merit of the programs on their own. Although that instate tuition at UMass Amherst is calling my name.

Personally, I think you are overthinking this. You were likely denied entry into all the PHD programs in which you applied because you don't have the requisite research experience. Choosing to go for your masters and proving yourself while doing so with the intention of gaining entry into the PHD program is not "weaseling" your way in. Its doing the hard work necessary to get in - AND UMASS is GIVING YOU THE OPPORTUNITY to do so by saying "We don't think you are quite ready for our PHD program, but we would like to see you in our Master's program." 
On a different note, in today's world, most Computer Science programs are going to be designed for industry work. That's where the jobs are and that is where the demand is. Even at UMASS, by your own words, only 25% of Masters end up in academia. I think that in that regard, it won't matter where an individual gets their masters degree. If they want to go into research, that's where they'll gravitate naturally. So, it should be the same for you.  If the PHD program at UMASS is your dram program, accept their Masters offer. The 2nd worst thing that could happen is that you don't get accepted into their PHD program when you apply again. But in that event, you will probably get in elsewhere. The worst that could happen is that you don't have the ability to complete the program - in which case you'll know that the PHD program was never for you. Furthermore, it will give you the opportunity to observe the program up close without having made a full commitment to it. 

Thank you very much for the thorough reply. 

I agree with you. And you are right! I don't have the research experience. 

And I'm sorry for the colorful language. 

I know it isn't "weaseling". I think I am using minimizing language to distract from the fact that research isn't guaranteed in a masters program like it is in the PhD and that makes me uncomfortable.

It's a massive decision so I find myself feeling for additional signals to inform it.

Thanks a ton.