What is the latest date you can take the GRE?

TheDude

So I want to take this test the end of September but I'm starting to wonder what the rush is. I've been studying, and will continue to through the early fall, have a job that allows me to work 15 hours a week and make enough to keep a roof over my head and pay my bills. Is it a travesty to wait until October? More time couldn't hurt if I have it. I don't have any programs that have a deadline of November, the earliest is mid December.

Thanks.

Edited by musicforfun

October is fine, the scores will reach the schools in time for a December deadline. It's up to you really, some people prefer to get it out of the way earlier and focus on writing SOPs and the other parts of the applications.

Keep in mind that scores typically take 10-15 days after you take the test to be received by your designated recipients. The only rush is the deadlines of your prospective programs.

Two years ago, the first time I applied for Phd programs, I took it about 4 weeks before the deadline. That was a mistake. This past year, when I reapplied, I made sure to do it in October. That way I would know for sure that all of the paperwork would go through. But there is an argument to give yourself as much time to study as possible; I would do it 6 weeks before the application deadline at the latest. (Meaning the beginning of November for most applications)