Do I have a chance?

palabared

Hey all, I've been seriously thinking about grad school now and am trying to figure out if I should go through with the process or wait another year or two to gain more experience before I apply. I really like the MPIA program at UCSD, coupled with free tuition as a California resident, its the cheapest place and one of the only 2 international relations/development programs in Cali.

I am starting to study for the GREs, but was wondering if you all thought I even had a chance since my grades were bad in college. I graduated with a bachelors of science in Agribusiness and got a gpa of 2.7. I have been out of school for 3 years now, spending my first year working saving up money to travel. Then i traveled for a year around the world working at wineries. From there I found a job in Latin America working with Habitat for Humanity and have been doing that for the past year as a field coordinator. So now I plan to find another job with an NGO in Latin America while I apply/wait for grad school.

I guess my main question is, with this little amount of experience, do I have a chance? I know I haven't taken the GREs, and given I dont get an amazing 1400+ score...?

thanks all

I definitely think you should go for it. Granted, I don't know much about how selective the MPIA program is, but if you don't apply you'll never know. Additionally, your undergrad GPA isn't ever going to change, so the key for you will be to write very strong essays and have strong letters of rec. My experience (U of Chicago CIR) was that not too many students had been out of undergrad for more than a few years, so I don't think you will suffer from a lack of experience.

If you apply and it doesn't work out, you could try taking additional courses that might help fill in gaps in your undergrad transcript (such as econ, math, or whatever). Focus on getting great grades and LORs from the faculty, which could help you overcome a somewhat lower undergrad GPA.

Best of luck!

I also just remembered that my major gpa (the classes pertaining to my major) was a 3.1 . Would it be worthwhile to talk about that in the essay? I basically sucked on all my GEs because I wasn't passionate about them!

Thanks for the useful comments! I feel that if I'm going to apply to one, I should to a few. Do you know of any other programs that I might have a chance at that aren't "top tier"?

I also just remembered that my major gpa (the classes pertaining to my major) was a 3.1 . Would it be worthwhile to talk about that in the essay? I basically sucked on all my GEs because I wasn't passionate about them!

Unfortunately, I don't know the landscape of masters programs that well, so I'm not sure I can help you find the right program. As for the GPA question, I don't think I would highlight the 3.1 vs. 2.7, unless the application specifically asks for "in major" GPA. I could be wrong on this, but I am not sure the difference between 3.1 and 2.7 is really worth highlighting.

Edited by adaptations

Unfortunately, I don't know the landscape of masters programs that well, so I'm not sure I can help you find the right program. As for the GPA question, I don't think I would highlight the 3.1 vs. 2.7, unless the application specifically asks for "in major" GPA. I could be wrong on this, but I am not sure the difference between 3.1 and 2.7 is really worth highlighting.

I disagree. A lot of programs will have minimum requirements or recommendations, and the 3.1 might clear what the 2.7 won't. Further, it's the difference between a B- and (rounding) a B. It's also about a 15% increase over the 2.7... wouldn't you like to add 15% to your GPA?

On the resume/CV, put both. On the online forms where it asks for GPA, put CGPA.