Looking for Advice- Microbiology Ph.D

B77729

Question

Hi all, I’m looking for advice, I’m looking to pursue a Ph.D in microbiology. I applied to 7 programs last cycle and didn’t get an interview for any of them. I had a 3.4 overall gpa and a major gpa of 3.54 (Biology major, minors in neurobiology and chemistry). In college I was a TA for a bio class for 3 years, tutored, and was a laboratory technician for the school. I also worked outside the school as a laboratory technician for an area university. I did 3 research projects in undergrad (2 in microbiology, and the other in biology education) and an independent research study (book/ article based). With this research I presented at 4 conferences-(only one was in person due to covid)- I do not have any papers published yet. I had 4 LOR, 2 from my research PI’s one from a professor that I ta’d for and one from my boss. As I was applying my PI who’s lab I was in for the majority of my time advised me against reaching out to potential PI’s during the application process. Wondering where I went wrong during the application process whether it be a bad gpa, not reaching out, bad personal statement, not enough experience or something I’m not thinking of. Also wondering if I should start a masters since I got into 4 programs and do that first - or if I should reapply this year and do something different. TIA 

1 answer to this question

On 7/5/2022 at 6:14 PM, B77729 said:

Hi all, I’m looking for advice, I’m looking to pursue a Ph.D in microbiology. I applied to 7 programs last cycle and didn’t get an interview for any of them. I had a 3.4 overall gpa and a major gpa of 3.54 (Biology major, minors in neurobiology and chemistry). In college I was a TA for a bio class for 3 years, tutored, and was a laboratory technician for the school. I also worked outside the school as a laboratory technician for an area university. I did 3 research projects in undergrad (2 in microbiology, and the other in biology education) and an independent research study (book/ article based). With this research I presented at 4 conferences-(only one was in person due to covid)- I do not have any papers published yet. I had 4 LOR, 2 from my research PI’s one from a professor that I ta’d for and one from my boss. As I was applying my PI who’s lab I was in for the majority of my time advised me against reaching out to potential PI’s during the application process. Wondering where I went wrong during the application process whether it be a bad gpa, not reaching out, bad personal statement, not enough experience or something I’m not thinking of. Also wondering if I should start a masters since I got into 4 programs and do that first - or if I should reapply this year and do something different. TIA 

There doesn't seem any major flaws in your profile at first glance. I agree with your PI. If reaching out to faculty was not required, this is not the reason you were not admitted. If you intend to do a PhD, I would apply to doctoral programs (going for a master's might make the process longer for you-and very likely more expensive). With your profile, I get the feeling that was something was wrong either with your personal statement and/or you applied to the wrong schools/programs.