apply to computational math/science grad programs?

BG7

I graduated last year with BS degrees in physics and applied math. I also took heat transfer and fluid mechanics courses which helped me land a job at an aerospace company before getting terminated recently due getting my INTERIM denied. I'm not too disappointed with that as I didn't see myself working there long-term. The work seemed dull and I missed learning new things in school and working on research projects. I could continue looking for another engineering job or just apply for grad schools. I'm leaning towards getting a phD much more now than in the past. The problem is I have no idea where to apply as i have a broad range of interests but nothing in passion

Based on my undergrad research experiences, i'm certain that i want to avoid experimental work and instead work on computational simulations of physical systems. I like the theory involved in physical problems but don't like practical stuff, other than the stuff in the aerospace/defense industry such as rockets, missiles, weapons, etc. So you can say I'm 'practically retarded'. I am certain that I want to do modeling/simulation research for my career, whether it be in academia or industry.

The programs I'm considering are:

1. materials engineering - Two of my undergrad research projects were related to materials modeling, which were pretty interesting. I thought quantum mech was ok, but I wasn't too excited by it. Also, I've read some interesting articles related to lasers in online magazines. I also never got to take solid-state physics but it seems interesting. However, the few job listings I've seen that look for this background do work I'm not interested in, such as working with solar cells, semiconductors and electronics, etc

2. mechanical/aerospace - I liked the theory covered in heat transfer, such as the heat equation, but didn't like using it to solve electronics cooling problems. Also, the aerospace industry may not be for me as evidenced by my clearance denial. But I would love to work on weapons, missiles, rockets, etc. I'm not interested at all in the other fields that MEs go into. CFD also looks interesting but I haven't taken an advanced fluids class

3. applied math/ computational math and science - I liked most of my math classes especially linear algebra, numerical analysis, real analysis, math modeling, ODEs, and PDEs. But I didn't really like fourier analysis and abstract algebra for being too abstract. I don't think I would like programs that require alot of CS. I would like to use applied math for physical problems, so I thought materials modeling or CFD would be good fits for me

can anyone help me with this? would it be a good idea to apply to computational math/science/physics programs, so that way while studying there I can get a better idea if I like to simulations in CFD or materials, or doing something else such as numerical analysis and PDEs? How do I find out which ones are the best fits for me? Should I ask one of the previous professors I worked for for advice?

On a side note, I had planned on doing my MS in ME/AE part-time while having my company pay for it until I suddenly lost my job. Now, I probably won't attend that MS program.

• 2 weeks later...

I graduated last year with BS degrees in physics and applied math. I also took heat transfer and fluid mechanics courses which helped me land a job at an aerospace company before getting terminated recently due getting my INTERIM denied. I'm not too disappointed with that as I didn't see myself working there long-term. The work seemed dull and I missed learning new things in school and working on research projects. I could continue looking for another engineering job or just apply for grad schools. I'm leaning towards getting a phD much more now than in the past. The problem is I have no idea where to apply as i have a broad range of interests but nothing in passion

Based on my undergrad research experiences, i'm certain that i want to avoid experimental work and instead work on computational simulations of physical systems. I like the theory involved in physical problems but don't like practical stuff, other than the stuff in the aerospace/defense industry such as rockets, missiles, weapons, etc. So you can say I'm 'practically retarded'. I am certain that I want to do modeling/simulation research for my career, whether it be in academia or industry.

The programs I'm considering are:

1. materials engineering - Two of my undergrad research projects were related to materials modeling, which were pretty interesting. I thought quantum mech was ok, but I wasn't too excited by it. Also, I've read some interesting articles related to lasers in online magazines. I also never got to take solid-state physics but it seems interesting. However, the few job listings I've seen that look for this background do work I'm not interested in, such as working with solar cells, semiconductors and electronics, etc

2. mechanical/aerospace - I liked the theory covered in heat transfer, such as the heat equation, but didn't like using it to solve electronics cooling problems. Also, the aerospace industry may not be for me as evidenced by my clearance denial. But I would love to work on weapons, missiles, rockets, etc. I'm not interested at all in the other fields that MEs go into. CFD also looks interesting but I haven't taken an advanced fluids class

3. applied math/ computational math and science - I liked most of my math classes especially linear algebra, numerical analysis, real analysis, math modeling, ODEs, and PDEs. But I didn't really like fourier analysis and abstract algebra for being too abstract. I don't think I would like programs that require alot of CS. I would like to use applied math for physical problems, so I thought materials modeling or CFD would be good fits for me

can anyone help me with this? would it be a good idea to apply to computational math/science/physics programs, so that way while studying there I can get a better idea if I like to simulations in CFD or materials, or doing something else such as numerical analysis and PDEs? How do I find out which ones are the best fits for me? Should I ask one of the previous professors I worked for for advice?

On a side note, I had planned on doing my MS in ME/AE part-time while having my company pay for it until I suddenly lost my job. Now, I probably won't attend that MS program.

Have you thought about computational/mathematical biology and neuroscience? Mathematical neuroscience is a really cool field that uses a variety of ideas from math and physics, including spin operators, information theory, dynamical systems and chaos, statistics etc... It might be up your alley.

It sounds like a large applied math department like University of Maryland, Texas, Minnesota would be your best bet. Those programs will have a a lot of different research areas available to you and you can see what you like. Also, keep in mind that switching grad departments is not something unheard and probably happens quite frequently.

BTW, a PhD is a lot of work for something you are not passionate about. You must have some passion in life about something, no matter how obscure or crazy it seems. What is it? You may be able to turn it into a science problem :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have you thought about computational/mathematical biology and neuroscience? Mathematical neuroscience is a really cool field that uses a variety of ideas from math and physics, including spin operators, information theory, dynamical systems and chaos, statistics etc... It might be up your alley.

It sounds like a large applied math department like University of Maryland, Texas, Minnesota would be your best bet. Those programs will have a a lot of different research areas available to you and you can see what you like. Also, keep in mind that switching grad departments is not something unheard and probably happens quite frequently.

BTW, a PhD is a lot of work for something you are not passionate about. You must have some passion in life about something, no matter how obscure or crazy it seems. What is it? You may be able to turn it into a science problem :)

thanks alot for your response! unfortunately, i'm not interested in biology or neuroscience at all. However, I also saw the applied math dept at Arizona, and it seems like a great fit because theres research related to aerospace engineering, optics, materials, applied math, and physics... alot of different departments. Its programs such as this that I'm really looking to apply to

how common is it to switch grad departments? i didn't know that happens quite frequently

• 2 weeks later...

thanks alot for your response! unfortunately, i'm not interested in biology or neuroscience at all. However, I also saw the applied math dept at Arizona, and it seems like a great fit because there's research related to aerospace engineering, optics, materials, applied math, and physics... alot of different departments. Its programs such as this that I'm really looking to apply to

how common is it to switch grad departments? i didn't know that happens quite frequently

Yes, the university of arizona is another very good applied math department (definitely top ten) to look at. Like you said, it is very large with a diverse faculty. And best of all, they don't require the math GRE. The theoretical and applied mechanics program at Cornell or their plain old applied math department might also be good options for you.

I guess the frequency of switching depends on the university. A private school would be more conducive to this. For example, Ed Witten switched departments three times at Princeton before landing in physics. Cornell, as a matter of fact, is very open to this and somewhat encourages it. At a public school, due to funding issues movement will be harder.

Yes, the university of arizona is another very good applied math department (definitely top ten) to look at. Like you said, it is very large with a diverse faculty. And best of all, they don't require the math GRE. The theoretical and applied mechanics program at Cornell or their plain old applied math department might also be good options for you.

I guess the frequency of switching depends on the university. A private school would be more conducive to this. For example, Ed Witten switched departments three times at Princeton before landing in physics. Cornell, as a matter of fact, is very open to this and somewhat encourages it. At a public school, due to funding issues movement will be harder.

actually I just came to the conclusion that I'd rather study the physics aspects of problems than coming up with the most efficient solutions. Hence, although applied math programs like Arizona are nice in that they do alot of interdisciplinary work, it might not be for me. But its rather hard to find interdisciplinary research in physics and engineering programs

actually I just came to the conclusion that I'd rather study the physics aspects of problems than coming up with the most efficient solutions. Hence, although applied math programs like Arizona are nice in that they do alot of interdisciplinary work, it might not be for me. But its rather hard to find interdisciplinary research in physics and engineering programs

So let me get this straight. You want to do applied physics? If so, there are a number of programs.

How about these:

http://www.aep.cornell.edu/

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/app-physics/research.html#condensed

http://www.eng.yale.edu/aphy/

http://www.eas.caltech.edu/

If not, then what do you mean?

So let me get this straight. You want to do applied physics? If so, there are a number of programs.

How about these:

http://www.aep.cornell.edu/

http://www.stanford.....html#condensed

http://www.eng.yale.edu/aphy/

http://www.eas.caltech.edu/

If not, then what do you mean?

yeah, I'm thinking applied physics. I've already checked out those schools. I considered applied math previously because I had thought I wanted to study CFD and aerodynamics. But I've changed my mind since then, and am now more interested in theoretical physics. But I still want interdisciplinary programs, so those applied physics are good choices