GRE-Optional Program at Ivy - Will submitting my GRE/Asking Faculty to Ignore it hurt my chances?

50CentParty

GRE score: V 161 Q 163 AW 4

I'm applying to a History PhD program (GRE-Optional) and an area studies MA program (GRE Required) at the same school (one of Ivy League schools) both for Fall 2023 admission (this school's policy allows applying to MA and PhD at the same time and I'm applying for the MA just in case I didn't get into PhD). But after I submitted my GRE score via ETS to fulfill the MA program's GRE requirement, it turns out the score was also automatically added to my History PhD application. As I don't want to submit my score for History PhD (I don't think it's competitive enough), I contacted both this university's graduate school admissions office and History Department. Both said they could do nothing about it, even if the History PhD is GRE-optional. But the History Department offered to ask my faculty of interest to ignore my GRE scores when they review it (though it's still in my application files).

So my question is which approach is better:

1. submit both MA and PhD applications and ask faculty of interest to ignore my GRE score for History PhD;
  2. submit both MA and PhD applications and do nothing about the GRE score in History PhD application;
  3. drop the MA application completely and apply only to History PhD (the graduate school told me this is the only way in which my GRE score will be removed from my History PhD application).

Thanks for your input in advance!

Edited by legofan

• 50CentParty changed the title to GRE-Optional Program at Ivy - Will submitting my GRE/Asking Faculty to Ignore it hurt my chances?

With the usual caveat of "the GRE doesn't really matter," some programs will use it to determine funding (esp. for things like MAs).

I don't see omitting a GRE score hurting you.

If I had to rank order the most important elements of a successful application, it would look like this:

1) Statement of Purpose

2) Writing Sample

3) Letters of Recommendation

4) Undergraduate grades

5) GRE score

On 11/7/2022 at 1:35 PM, psstein said:

With the usual caveat of "the GRE doesn't really matter," some programs will use it to determine funding (esp. for things like MAs).

I don't see omitting a GRE score hurting you.

If I had to rank order the most important elements of a successful application, it would look like this:

1) Statement of Purpose

2) Writing Sample

3) Letters of Recommendation

4) Undergraduate grades

5) GRE score

Thanks for your insight!

I understand the GRE is probably the least important element in an application and I do know some public schools use GRE to determine funding for PhD (not just MA). But as this is an ivy/private school, I'm assuming GRE won't playing into funding for PhD (for MA, as the GRE is required, there's nothing I can do about it if I apply to this school's MA)?

So to clarify, if we're only talking about the PhD, it seems you're recommending the first approach (submit both MA and PhD applications and ask faculty of interest to ignore my GRE score for History PhD)? My concern is that it'll look weird to faculty as the GRE is in my application file (I can't remove it as I'm applying to the MA at the same time and the MA requires GRE) and the Department will ask faculty to ignore it when they review my file after the application deadline. 

On 11/9/2022 at 10:35 PM, legofan said:

Thanks for your insight!

I understand the GRE is probably the least important element in an application and I do know some public schools use GRE to determine funding for PhD (not just MA). But as this is an ivy/private school, I'm assuming GRE won't playing into funding for PhD (for MA, as the GRE is required, there's nothing I can do about it if I apply to this school's MA)?

So to clarify, if we're only talking about the PhD, it seems you're recommending the first approach (submit both MA and PhD applications and ask faculty of interest to ignore my GRE score for History PhD)? My concern is that it'll look weird to faculty as the GRE is in my application file (I can't remove it as I'm applying to the MA at the same time and the MA requires GRE) and the Department will ask faculty to ignore it when they review my file after the application deadline. 

Asking faculty to ignore the GRE score might draw unwanted attention to it. I agree with psstein that it's typically a negligible aspect of a PhD application, and I would lean toward letting your record speak for itself.

On 11/12/2022 at 11:18 AM, AfricanusCrowther said:

Asking faculty to ignore the GRE score might draw unwanted attention to it. I agree with psstein that it's typically a negligible aspect of a PhD application, and I would lean toward letting your record speak for itself.

Thank you!