Go to visit day/open house if not officially invited

caribbeangrad

Hi all,

I only applied to three schools and so far have gotten two rejects (Stanford and Berkeley). I have one place left and am wondering if I should attend the visit day in early April even if I haven't heard from them by then. I am an international applicant, so this would involve a bit of expense. I was planning on spending a few months in the US anyway, but going to the visit day would mean I'd have to go earlier than I'd planned. Do you think a visit would make any sort of impact? Would you go to a visit day "uninvited"?

would i go? no. but there are still so many variables here that it's impossible to say. for one thing, i'd be surprised if you don't have some idea of your status by early april, but of course you'd have to look at plane fares now.

is your third school also in the bay area? lovely place to visit. and there are lots of schools around, so in the event you don't get in, you could look elsewhere for future reference.

seems peculiar to me that someone would just tell you to come, without indicating yr status. was this a person from your field, an admin officer, the DGS, or just a receptionist? obviously going could have an impact if you're waitlisted; would show them you're serious about going there, and be a chance to make an impression on the committee.

i would follow up with someone at the school in addition to your previous contact, explain your situation, and see what they say.

good luck!