Anthro vs. Soc vs. Education?

leelabee

I am looking to apply to a Ph.D. program in a couple of years and feel that my research interests fall mostly into Anthropology. However, I am coming from being an educator (with an Ed.M. in Learning & Teaching and a B.Mus. in Music Ed-- both from schools with excellent reputations) and have no formal training in Anthro. There are a few "Anthropology and Ed" programs out there, but more often than not, it's one or the other.

My interests lie in identity construction and music, but I would like to direct my research towards the field of Education/Human Development. Am I way off the mark in thinking I would fit in an Anthro Ph.D. program? Or a Sociology program?

And with my educational background, do I have a chance at getting a Ph.D. in either field?

If I were you, I'd so some research into the fields and see what people whose work you like are doing. Strikes me that you might be helped by learning a little about the methods of inquiry and modes of reasoning associated with the disciplines. What do you mean by "my research interests fall mostly into Anthropology" for example? The difference here is likely one not of content - the positum or object of the discipline - but method. One could certainly do research in "identity and music" in any of these disciplines, but you would be approaching it from very different perspectives (at least in this country, note that sociology/anthropology are combined in some other academy systems).