Anthro Ph.D adequate for diplomacy work?

gchandra

Hey there everyone, I'm a college grad exploring anthro masters/Ph.D programs.

I want to pursue diplomacy work (at the governmental/NGO grassroots level), but am not necessarily interested in the political science/econ routes. I enjoy anthropology the most academically, but have heard that it may not be the most relevant to professional diplomacy. Although it is obivously related, I've heard that aforementioned tracks ensure more professional opportunities.

Any thoughts? Interdiscplinary programs maybe? All help is appreciated, thank you in advance : )

Hey there everyone, I'm a college grad exploring anthro masters/Ph.D programs.

I want to pursue diplomacy work (at the governmental/NGO grassroots level), but am not necessarily interested in the political science/econ routes. I enjoy anthropology the most academically, but have heard that it may not be the most relevant to professional diplomacy. Although it is obivously related, I've heard that aforementioned tracks ensure more professional opportunities.

Any thoughts? Interdiscplinary programs maybe? All help is appreciated, thank you in advance : )

i think this would depend on what sort of anthro work you did for your dissertation. there is political and economic anthropology done within the cultural anthro subfield. you could explore a political or economic issue you would like to know more about in terms of its human impact and demonstrate how that makes you a reliable source for info in relation to that (and other related) issues. in fact, it is my opinion that diplomats could benefit from being familiar with the human impacts political and economic policies and ideologies have.

you could also look at public anthropology programs. i think that many people who are interested in an applied anthro find those programs attractive.

i think this would depend on what sort of anthro work you did for your dissertation. there is political and economic anthropology done within the cultural anthro subfield. you could explore a political or economic issue you would like to know more about in terms of its human impact and demonstrate how that makes you a reliable source for info in relation to that (and other related) issues. in fact, it is my opinion that diplomats could benefit from being familiar with the human impacts political and economic policies and ideologies have.

you could also look at public anthropology programs. i think that many people who are interested in an applied anthro find those programs attractive.

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I'll look into those.