MDP at Emory

skipxtracer

I'm considering the Master's in Development Practice at Emory. Has anyone had any experience with that school? I'm curious what kind of reputation it has and what kinds of students it attracts.

A little background on me: So far I'm definitely applying to the MPP program at HKS, the MPA at SIPA and the MSc in development practice at LSE. I'm looking for an international development-focused program that has good rep for placing grads at NGOs and where the curriculum has a strong human rights undercurrent (preferably with an option to focus on women and gender). I have six years' experience at an NGO and would like to be in classes with other young professionals, rather than a lot of recent grads.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm considering the Master's in Development Practice at Emory. Has anyone had any experience with that school? I'm curious what kind of reputation it has and what kinds of students it attracts.

Hi skipxtracer,

I too am interested in their MDP program. I actually just spoke with someone in their admissions/recruiting office, so I can pass along some of what I learned. As you know, it is a new program this year at Emory (only Columbia I think has a full year of MDP students under its belt already). A few things that particularly excited me: They do 2 field practicums, one after 1st year and a 2nd after your second year. These practicums are in the same village/locaiton, so you have the chance to apply what you have learned to the same operation and see how things have changed / progressed/ regressed over a year's time. Some of the countries/partners Emory students are planning to work with: Liberia, Ethiopia, India... CARE, MAP International (medical assistance programs), and I think CRS (this last one might be wrong, the name escapes me though).

Another interesting point: the Atlanta-based partners like Carter Center and CDC participate in many ways with the MDP program, including symposiums and teaching courses.

Also, Emory's MDP program is establishing a network not only amongst it's schools but also with other Georgia schools, such as UGA's ag program and some of the traditionally black colleges.

The office was really helpful for any questions. Until now, I have been focusing mostly on Columbia for MDP, Fordham for IPED, Brandeis for SID, American for MAID.... My thinking was NY or DC would be a necessity for a full education on international development, due to local partner-access. But Emory made a strong case as well. I plan to look a bit more at UF and UDenver's programs as well, and have been trying to get more info on UCBerkely's new MDP program.

Hope this helps a bit, if you learn any more (on this or any of your programs) please share, I'm in the same boat!

• 5 months later...

I don't have much to add in terms of Emory, but I did apply to the U of Florida MDP program and the Korbel MDP program. Columbia was too expensive and I didn't think I would get funding there. Korbel ended up not taking a cohort this year for their MDP program, not sure what happened in the first year of the program that led to that. I was really hoping the Berkeley MDP program would be opened, but wasn't in time for this years (fall 2011) application process so sad! The UC system is struggling at the moment.

I decided to go with a more traditional program at Maxwell in the end. One of the huge selling points with a programs like Maxwell over an MDP program is that they have over 25,000 graduates of the program out in the field, great networking opportunities. They also have a larger cohort (around 100) per year in International Relations. And you have the option to study in DC for a semester. What turned me off from Florida is they only had a cohort of 11 last year. Much more difficult to network in that situation, even though they have a great school especially if you want to get into tropical agriculture development. I hope that might help a little bit.

Any updates on the program at Emory? I'm looking to apply for next year so I am curious about who got in, their background and any funding they got.

Thanks!

Paul

Edited by palabared

Any updates on the program at Emory? I'm looking to apply for next year so I am curious about who got in, their background and any funding they got.

Thanks!

Paul

Hi Paul,

I ended up applying and getting accepted, though I'm still deciding whether to go. The things that are attracting me are the small size of the program (this year's class is supposed to have about 15 students)--which I'm hoping will translate into close relationships with professors and advisers, what seems like a strong commitment to getting students a lot of work experience (internships during the school year, two summers abroad), and a new "residency program" through which they hope to place anyone who so desires in a job for the year after graduation. The director has been really forthcoming--I've had multiple long phone conversations with him, so I'm hoping that speaks to the level of interest they take in their students generally.

A major downside is the cost (over $60,000 all told). I got what I was told was the maximum scholarship of $10,000/year but that seems like a drop in the bucket!

Let me know if you have any other questions about my (very limited) experience with the program thus far!

Interesting. Skipxtracer, it sounds like you're looking into very similar programs as myself. The only difference is that I'm looking to go more into the democracy side of human rights than gender issues.

Congratulations on getting in! After reading this, I'm definitely going to go take a gander at the program. The funding bit sounds like a bummer, though - I'm definitely aiming for as close to full funding as possible (but then again, who isn't?) Good luck making a decision.

If anyone hears any more, I'd love to hear it :)

Ouch, so I looked up the program and almost wish I hadn't. It sounds really great for what I want to do. Love the summer programs where you get actual development work done, love the Rights, Ethics, and Governance concentration (exactly what I want to do!) and love that it's in Atlanta which is one of the places I've been looking at living due to Amnesty International having a regional office there (as well as other great NGOs).

But that cost. I was thinking 60k for the whole shebang, with 10k a year in funding, which is rough but not terribly impossible. But 55k per year with only a possibility of that 10k... for a program that while awesome-seeming is yet unproven as it's so new?

I just can't justify incurring that much debt to then go work in non-profits for the rest of my life. And seeing as how it's a development program, you would think that they'd realize funding is a big deal to us do-gooder wannabes that don't plan on making the big bucks. I can see why this is a tough decision for you man, I would love to do it if it weren't for the prospect of being in debt for a good part of the foreseeable future!

I wonder how many people apply for those 12-15 spots...

I don't know if y'all realize it or not (I sure didn't!), but the 61k per year price tag for Emory's MDP program includes 12 MONTHS OF EXPENSES. I went back and looked at other programs I got into, and realized that they post estimated expenses for 9 MONTHS. If you're like me, I totally overlooked this detail and just thought Emory was reallly expensive. Well, it IS expensive, but not quite as expensive as I thought. For example, I thought Tulane (a school I'm seriously considering) was a lot less expensive. This morning I looked at estimated yearly costs and just as I suspected, it's only for the academic (i.e., 9 months) year. The $53,000 listed on the Tulane website is only for 9 MONTHS. So 12 MONTHS would be about $57,000, if not more. This is only about 4k less than Emory, so the decision becomes less about price (because BOTH are super expensive) and more about the program and how far that money will take you. Though 61k is a hard pill to swallow, I appreciate Emory's transparency. No surprises, you know what I mean?!

I don't know if y'all realize it or not (I sure didn't!), but the 61k per year price tag for Emory's MDP program includes 12 MONTHS OF EXPENSES. I went back and looked at other programs I got into, and realized that they post estimated expenses for 9 MONTHS. If you're like me, I totally overlooked this detail and just thought Emory was reallly expensive. Well, it IS expensive, but not quite as expensive as I thought. For example, I thought Tulane (a school I'm seriously considering) was a lot less expensive. This morning I looked at estimated yearly costs and just as I suspected, it's only for the academic (i.e., 9 months) year. The $53,000 listed on the Tulane website is only for 9 MONTHS. So 12 MONTHS would be about $57,000, if not more. This is only about 4k less than Emory, so the decision becomes less about price (because BOTH are super expensive) and more about the program and how far that money will take you. Though 61k is a hard pill to swallow, I appreciate Emory's transparency. No surprises, you know what I mean?!

Actually, I didn't realize it, in terms of seeing it and actually processing that. Thanks for the heads up :) I don't know about Tulane's program at all, but I do know some other ones leave you more available in the summer than Emory does, and so there is at least a possibility of earning some money during that time. With this being the case, I think some schools only show 9 months since the academic program doesn't run into the summer as much. This is more of a feeling than fact, though... I realize a lot of internships are unpaid, but some *can* be paid, while the Emory program's summer internship is basically set in stone. Granted, I personally really like that internship BUT it does make it impossible to work at all in the summer months, and your studies are basically year-round so maybe this is why they need to be sure they give the cost for 12 months?

Either way, that private school tuition is a bummer. I'm only looking at Duke because I'm hoping for considerable funding. Without that, I won't be going. I wonder if funding will go up as the program becomes more entrenched at the school?

I hear ya. Private school tuition is insanity. It really is!

At this point, I'm just trying to pick the school that'll help me find paid AND fulfilling employment after I graduate. All of the programs I'm interested in require a summer practicum abroad, which means I won't be able to earn money working at, for example, a restaurant in the U.S. The two summer practicums are included in Emory's total cost (about 61k). That includes airfare, housing, etc. All I'd need to do is find a subletter for my TBD housing. The Tulane program doesn't seem to include the (one) practicum in its costs. I'm sure, however, they'd try to help me get at least part of it funded by the school (still, that's no guarantee). I know for a fact that some of the current MDP students at Emory work on and off campus during the regular academic year, so that helps. And I bet Tulane students do as well (though, I don't know for sure).

One thing that worries me about Emory/Atlanta is snobbiness that may come along with attending a 'prestigious' school. I'm pretty down to earth and I absolutely hate pressure-cooker, mightier-than-though environments. I grew up in DC so I'm quite convinced I know what I'm talking about. I was pleasantly surprised with the warmth of those associated with the Emory MDP program. I realize it can't as laid back as Austin (where I currently reside), but I'd imagine it can't be as bad as DC, right?! There must be a couple of hundred progressive, quirky, open-minded, grassroots-type people in Atlanta, right?! Hmmm, I guess I'm getting off topic...

Hi Paul,

I ended up applying and getting accepted, though I'm still deciding whether to go. The things that are attracting me are the small size of the program (this year's class is supposed to have about 15 students)--which I'm hoping will translate into close relationships with professors and advisers, what seems like a strong commitment to getting students a lot of work experience (internships during the school year, two summers abroad), and a new "residency program" through which they hope to place anyone who so desires in a job for the year after graduation. The director has been really forthcoming--I've had multiple long phone conversations with him, so I'm hoping that speaks to the level of interest they take in their students generally.

A major downside is the cost (over $60,000 all told). I got what I was told was the maximum scholarship of $10,000/year but that seems like a drop in the bucket!

Let me know if you have any other questions about my (very limited) experience with the program thus far!

Yea, everything about the program seems awesome to me! I'm definitely going to apply, I'm just concerned -- like you -- about the inevitable funding requirements. If you don't mind me asking, what is your background? I'll be applying this fall, so just trying to gauge my prospects. Thanks!

Edited by Development Hopeful

I hear ya. Private school tuition is insanity. It really is!

At this point, I'm just trying to pick the school that'll help me find paid AND fulfilling employment after I graduate. All of the programs I'm interested in require a summer practicum abroad, which means I won't be able to earn money working at, for example, a restaurant in the U.S. The two summer practicums are included in Emory's total cost (about 61k). That includes airfare, housing, etc. All I'd need to do is find a subletter for my TBD housing. The Tulane program doesn't seem to include the (one) practicum in its costs. I'm sure, however, they'd try to help me get at least part of it funded by the school (still, that's no guarantee). I know for a fact that some of the current MDP students at Emory work on and off campus during the regular academic year, so that helps. And I bet Tulane students do as well (though, I don't know for sure).

One thing that worries me about Emory/Atlanta is snobbiness that may come along with attending a 'prestigious' school. I'm pretty down to earth and I absolutely hate pressure-cooker, mightier-than-though environments. I grew up in DC so I'm quite convinced I know what I'm talking about. I was pleasantly surprised with the warmth of those associated with the Emory MDP program. I realize it can't as laid back as Austin (where I currently reside), but I'd imagine it can't be as bad as DC, right?! There must be a couple of hundred progressive, quirky, open-minded, grassroots-type people in Atlanta, right?! Hmmm, I guess I'm getting off topic...

Good points :) You've nearly got me convinced to still apply, ha.

I'm not sure about the snobbiness thing at Emory, although it is partly why I have avoided private schools myself. Not as a knock against Emory or the MDP program, but I don't think it is prestigious enough (in comparison to the Ivys and such) to make it that bad. Atlanta itself is not a very snobby place, although certainly not the same vibe as Austin. DC is definitely much worse, provided you aren't hanging out in the rich-people suburban areas of Atlanta :) I lived in Athens, GA for a bit, and so am slightly familiar with Atlanta. You can definitely find people of any kind in Atlanta - I personally like that it's still "Southern" since I tend to feel very uncomfortable in the northern cities (you can take the Southern girl out of the country, but not the country out of the Southern girl, and all that...)

I'm not sure about the snobbiness thing at Emory, although it is partly why I have avoided private schools myself. Not as a knock against Emory or the MDP program, but I don't think it is prestigious enough (in comparison to the Ivys and such) to make it that bad. Atlanta itself is not a very snobby place, although certainly not the same vibe as Austin. DC is definitely much worse, provided you aren't hanging out in the rich-people suburban areas of Atlanta :) I lived in Athens, GA for a bit, and so am slightly familiar with Atlanta. You can definitely find people of any kind in Atlanta - I personally like that it's still "Southern" since I tend to feel very uncomfortable in the northern cities (you can take the Southern girl out of the country, but not the country out of the Southern girl, and all that...)

Bgreenster, did you ever decide whether or not to apply to UVa - Batten? I spoke to Howard Hoege and quite liked what he had to say about the program.

bgreenster-

I had to make a decision today and I went with Emory...and I've been freaking out all day! (Yeah, I don't really like committing to any one thing...especially such an expensive thing). I know I picked the best program for me, but I'm still REALLY nervous about the whole Atlanta thing. And debt.

I am beyond thrilled I decided to check out this forum tonight. Your reassuring words about Atlanta are music to my ears...and I might actually be able to sleep tonight. Tons of people have been telling me not to worry, and blah blah blah, but none of them have lived in Georgia and none of them are going to grad school. I'm glad to hear it's not impossible to find a handful of Austinesque people in Atlanta. And, naturally, I'll be staying as far away as possible from the rich suburban areas. So maybe that even ups (is that even a word?! I need to go back to school desperately...) my odds of meeting some chill folks. :D

It's interesting you say you don't feel comfortable in northern cities. I can't say I feel uncomfortable, but something keeps me on edge and generally bothered. I can't quite put my finger on it. I just really prefer being in a place where people are genuinely friendly. (I've also found this type of friendliness in the midwest. I would've looked at schools in that part of the country if it wasn't so cold. I already did cold for 5 years in Vermont). I mean, there are many things that drive me crazy about the south, especially the many backwards politicians and laws (or lack thereof). I guess there's good and bad wherever you go.

I am actually quite relieved to hear you don't think Emory's all that prestigious. I've never had an interest in prestige when it comes to school. I grew up with too many people who obsess about that nonsense. I try my best to avoid people who are into that stuff...and it's definitely easy to do that in Austin. Basically, I went into this looking for an awesome program...and one of the most unique programs happened to be at Emory. I still feel like NOLA is more 'me,' but the whole point of grad school is school, right?! It'd be different if I was moving for a job or something. My decision came down to this: great city/good program vs unknown (that is, to me) city/amazing program. I chose the program over the city, even though Emory's a few thousand dollars more than Tulane.

I'm also disappointed about the first Berkeley's MDP cohort not starting until fall 2012. Missed it by one year! Frustrating.

I've heard Athens is a neat place, and that it's similar to Austin. I hope to visit frequently!

I have a few questions about Georgia and Atlanta as well. If you have the time, it'd be great to get your input! Is it possible to private message? I'm assuming if I type my email address it won't show up when I post. You can tell I'm not super forum-savvy...

Hey skipxtracer--

I'm curious to hear if you've made your decision. I made mine today. MDP Emory, here I come!

I'm also very nervous about the price tag. I've talked to a few people who are in the field of international development and everyone seems to say that connections, experience, and hard skills (e.g., a specific research method, computer program, etc) are priceless (not sure about priceless, but you get the point). With regard to connections, I'm not referring to the surface level connections you make at some networking event. I'm talking about the connections that come from someone who is deeply invested in your success. Seems like the MDP people at Emory walk-the-walk when it comes to preparing students and connecting them with people who make decisions about hiring...i.e., paying back loans! At least that's what I'm telling myself...I really hope I'm right.

Have you had any 'revelations' about all of this grad school stuff?!

Hi Paul,

• 7 months later...

I figure I'd get this thread going again since the deadline is coming up in a couple weeks. I submitted my app in October, and just waiting on one more LoR to be submitted. Anyone else out there applying to the MDP program at Emory (or UF) for the upcoming year? Anyone else out there know how I would stack up for the program(s)?

Program Applied To: Emory MDP, UF MDP, UD dual JD/Int Studies, Northeastern/Brandeis Joint JD/SID, Detroit Mercy Law

Undergraduate institution: Kennesaw State University

Undergraduate GPA: 3.49 (3.69 120+ hour institutional)

Undergraduate Major: Nursing, minor in Applied Statistics and Data Analysis, certificate program in non-profit management

GRE Quantitative Score: 670

GRE Verbal Score: 560

GRE AW Score: 4.0

LSAT Score: 147 (LSAT was solely for the NE/Brandeis program, but applied to others as well. Not expecting too many acceptances based on my horrible score)

Years Out of Undergrad (if applicable): Still trying to finish that one up.

Years of Work Experience: 5ish

Describe Relevant Work Experience: Peace Corps 06-08 (Jamaica, HIV education), volunteer coordinator at international medical relief nonprofit (09-present)

Language: Basic Spanish. 2 semesters undergrad and 3 week immersion program in Peru. Plan on backpacking through Peru all this summer to brush up on my Espanol.

Publications: Contributor to instructor's guide for a textbook on caring for vulnerable populations.

Other: Political activism. VP of young democrats at KSU. Ran for GA State House of Rep in 2010 (obviously didn't win). Bunch o' other volunteer activities.

• 2 weeks later...

Development Hopeful,

I am applying to Emory's MDP program for Fall 2011. Just need to polish and submit my SOP before Jan. 3rd.

I'm quite nervous: worried that I won't be accepted, as this is my top choice for a host of reasons, and worried that I will be accepted, as the price tag is terrifying.

Development Hopeful,

I am applying to Emory's MDP program for Fall 2011. Just need to polish and submit my SOP before Jan. 3rd.

I'm quite nervous: worried that I won't be accepted, as this is my top choice for a host of reasons, and worried that I will be accepted, as the price tag is terrifying.

Yea I'm right there with you. It's an awesome program but so little finaid available for it. Unfortunately, every similar program I have come across and applied to is equally as expensive. Sucks that to do meaningful humanitarian work requires such a large chunk of change. I'm still debating bout just biting the bullet and live with 10% of my income being non-existent for the next decade.

Yea I'm right there with you. It's an awesome program but so little finaid available for it. Unfortunately, every similar program I have come across and applied to is equally as expensive. Sucks that to do meaningful humanitarian work requires such a large chunk of change. I'm still debating bout just biting the bullet and live with 10% of my income being non-existent for the next decade.

Agreed. If I am accepted, I will go - one way or another.

How are you feeling about your application? I'm sick to my stomach nervous about it. I don't feel I put enough time into it, as I was not planning to apply to the program until this time NEXT YEAR. After meeting with one of Emory's MDP Associate Directors, she encouraged me to go ahead and apply, so I've had essentially two weeks of preparation.

Agreed. If I am accepted, I will go - one way or another.

How are you feeling about your application? I'm sick to my stomach nervous about it. I don't feel I put enough time into it, as I was not planning to apply to the program until this time NEXT YEAR. After meeting with one of Emory's MDP Associate Directors, she encouraged me to go ahead and apply, so I've had essentially two weeks of preparation.

I'm not too worried. I got my application in back in October so I could get the fee waived. I've been looking at the program for the last year and a half and have met with Rebeca and Dr. Roncoli in person and also had a phone conversation with Dr. Nugent. I'd be very surprised and even more disappointed if I didn't get accepted, but based off their feedback they say I'm what they are looking for. Not to mention, my area of interest is Latin America (specifically Peru) and Dr. Nugent's career has focused on the region, so I'm hoping that gave me some brownie points. Additionally, I've heard that all the MDP programs have been experiencing the same issue of a lack of male applicants, so I'm hoping that will help me out as well. I've applied to several other programs, but the program at Emory is basically exactly what I wanted to find in a graduate program, so unless another school offers me a substantial finaid package, I'll be headed to Emory as well (all considering I don't get a very sad letter in the mail).

What is your background by the way?

I'm not too worried. I got my application in back in October so I could get the fee waived. I've been looking at the program for the last year and a half and have met with Rebeca and Dr. Roncoli in person and also had a phone conversation with Dr. Nugent. I'd be very surprised and even more disappointed if I didn't get accepted, but based off their feedback they say I'm what they are looking for. Not to mention, my area of interest is Latin America (specifically Peru) and Dr. Nugent's career has focused on the region, so I'm hoping that gave me some brownie points. Additionally, I've heard that all the MDP programs have been experiencing the same issue of a lack of male applicants, so I'm hoping that will help me out as well. I've applied to several other programs, but the program at Emory is basically exactly what I wanted to find in a graduate program, so unless another school offers me a substantial finaid package, I'll be headed to Emory as well (all considering I don't get a very sad letter in the mail).

What is your background by the way?

I think you will be fine. I also met with Dr. Roncoli. She is the one who assured me I am a viable candidate now and should not wait until next year to apply. I hope the admissions committee agrees.

My background: public policy major, sociology minor, nonprofit management concentration at Georgia State. Just graduated December 2011, although I'm a little older (took several breaks for work and such). Research has been focused on African communities, particularly rape victims in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the implications of rape being used as a weapon of war. Also focused on HIV/AIDS education and the inaccessibility of antiretrovirals. Currently learning French, which Dr. Roncoli says is a very good thing, as they want people who can function in Francophone countries. My research interests and (currently poor) French-speaking abilities will inevitably land me in a position in African during the summers if I am accepted into the program. I would love that very much. Fingers crossed.

I think you will be fine. I also met with Dr. Roncoli. She is the one who assured me I am a viable candidate now and should not wait until next year to apply. I hope the admissions committee agrees.

My background: public policy major, sociology minor, nonprofit management concentration at Georgia State. Just graduated December 2011, although I'm a little older (took several breaks for work and such). Research has been focused on African communities, particularly rape victims in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the implications of rape being used as a weapon of war. Also focused on HIV/AIDS education and the inaccessibility of antiretrovirals. Currently learning French, which Dr. Roncoli says is a very good thing, as they want people who can function in Francophone countries. My research interests and (currently poor) French-speaking abilities will inevitably land me in a position in African during the summers if I am accepted into the program. I would love that very much. Fingers crossed.

Yea, French is always invaluable for Africa. From multiple people I know, it's damn near impossible to get a development gig in much of Africa without a solid French background.

I don't know what you mean by a bit older, but I guess I'm in that category as well. I'm 25 (26 in April) and went into the Peace Corps two years into undergrad at 20, and have been finishing up my Bachelors in Nursing since I got back in 2008 (the first two years of college were basically a wash towards my nursing degree). I'll be graduating in May, but was told the median age in the program is 27, so the age thing will probably work in your favor.

Props on the HIV stuff; HIV education was my gig in Peace Corps. You should read "Wisdom of Whores" by Elizabeth Pisani. It's a great (and pretty funny) expose on the HIV aid community since the 80s.

Yea, French is always invaluable for Africa. From multiple people I know, it's damn near impossible to get a development gig in much of Africa without a solid French background.

I don't know what you mean by a bit older, but I guess I'm in that category as well. I'm 25 (26 in April) and went into the Peace Corps two years into undergrad at 20, and have been finishing up my Bachelors in Nursing since I got back in 2008 (the first two years of college were basically a wash towards my nursing degree). I'll be graduating in May, but was told the median age in the program is 27, so the age thing will probably work in your favor.

Props on the HIV stuff; HIV education was my gig in Peace Corps. You should read "Wisdom of Whores" by Elizabeth Pisani. It's a great (and pretty funny) expose on the HIV aid community since the 80s.

I'm 28, so I do hope it helps. Thanks for the Pisani recommendation - I'll check it out.

Feel free to privately message me your contact information if you'd like to keep in touch. Hopefully we will be classmates in the fall!