Cultural studies vs. history Ph.D

qbtacoma

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few months now but only recently felt the need to add a new question. While chatting recently with a history professor at Michigan, she suggested, based on my interests, that I should apply to Michigan's American Culture graduate program. I've checked it out and all the history professors I want to work with are teaching in that school also. Plus the content and interdisciplinary nature of the program is interesting as well, and I'm sure I would be well supported in writing a historical dissertation within that program.

However, if my Ph.D is in any field other than history, will that hurt my chances of getting a job teaching history later? Do universities only want to see degrees from history departments, or do they look at the work produced? Or do they often to treat specific cultural studies programs as equivalent to history?

Basically at this point, since deadlines are coming up fast, I want to know whether I should bother to consider a last-minute extra application to this program, or whether that would be a waste of my time/put me at a disadvantage later.

Thanks!

In general, it is easier to get a job in a particular discipline if your PhD is directly in that discipline, not just a concentration through an interdisciplinary program.

However, job placement rates for interdisciplinary programs are very, very program-dependent. Find out from the American Culture people what percentage of their graduates who concentrate in history end up with TT jobs (or whatever your goal may be).

I'm not an Americanist, but I'm in a different sort of interdisciplinary program focusing on history. As far as admission to the program goes, if you do decide to apply, make sure your SOP sells the interdisciplinary nature of your research topic. How will the ability to draw on multiple fields aid your research? Mentioning professors from more than one traditional discipline is always a bonus, too. :)

Hi all,

I've been lurking for a few months now but only recently felt the need to add a new question. While chatting recently with a history professor at Michigan, she suggested, based on my interests, that I should apply to Michigan's American Culture graduate program. I've checked it out and all the history professors I want to work with are teaching in that school also. Plus the content and interdisciplinary nature of the program is interesting as well, and I'm sure I would be well supported in writing a historical dissertation within that program.

However, if my Ph.D is in any field other than history, will that hurt my chances of getting a job teaching history later? Do universities only want to see degrees from history departments, or do they look at the work produced? Or do they often to treat specific cultural studies programs as equivalent to history?

Basically at this point, since deadlines are coming up fast, I want to know whether I should bother to consider a last-minute extra application to this program, or whether that would be a waste of my time/put me at a disadvantage later.

Thanks!

Michigan's American Culture dept & History dept are closely interconnected. As you noted, there are several professors that hold a dual appointment in AC & History and many classes are cross listed. I am uncertain of the specific rules for AC but I know in history, your dissertation committee can be comprised of scholars from both fields.

My advise would be to apply to both departments. I have friends who were not accepted to history but got into AC (funding packages are almost identical in 2010) and just take a whole bunch of classes with the profs they are interested in working with. Moreover, the more broadly you apply the more offers you can weigh and decide which you'll accept and which you will decline.

I have heard conflicting things about the nature of the American Culture/studies job market. At my previous school, they advised me to go straight history because it's a well-established field and every school has a history dept of some sort. But folks at Michigan seem to rely more on the stature of the school suggesting their grads have not had as hard a time on getting placement in the job market. In the end, I think it'll come down to the quality of your research, your advisors, and how well you integrate into dept at the particular school in which you apply as a prof. It's a tight job market but those damn boomers have to retire sooner or later. :)