Yet another GPA question....

Nessie

Ok, so I'm attempting to fill in some online grad school apps and have become stuck again with my GPA. Previous advice from posters has been very helpful and allowed me to calculate my GPA to around 3.7. HOWEVER, I've just read on one of my application that the UGPA must include all undergrad work. I did my undergrad at St Andrews in Scotland, where the degree class is based only upon the honours years (i.e. the last 2 years of study). Your degree is not based at all upon the first 2 years of study, so the motivation to gain high grades in these years is not overly high. So my question is this; do I need to include my grades from the first 2 years, even though they are not used to calculate my final degree class (2:1, average grade 16.3, so an 'A' in North America). I reallllly don't want to include my first 2 years as I basically had too good a time for any studying and this would bring my GPA down A LOT, but obviously I don't want to do it wrong. There is no space on the form to write my degree class, only GPA, so if I calculate it based on the years that aren't used for my degree class, then they may just bin my application before looking any further! I hope this makes some kind of sense....!! Any suggestions much appreciated

Ok, so I'm attempting to fill in some online grad school apps and have become stuck again with my GPA. Previous advice from posters has been very helpful and allowed me to calculate my GPA to around 3.7. HOWEVER, I've just read on one of my application that the UGPA must include all undergrad work. I did my undergrad at St Andrews in Scotland, where the degree class is based only upon the honours years (i.e. the last 2 years of study). Your degree is not based at all upon the first 2 years of study, so the motivation to gain high grades in these years is not overly high. So my question is this; do I need to include my grades from the first 2 years, even though they are not used to calculate my final degree class (2:1, average grade 16.3, so an 'A' in North America). I reallllly don't want to include my first 2 years as I basically had too good a time for any studying and this would bring my GPA down A LOT, but obviously I don't want to do it wrong. There is no space on the form to write my degree class, only GPA, so if I calculate it based on the years that aren't used for my degree class, then they may just bin my application before looking any further! I hope this makes some kind of sense....!! Any suggestions much appreciated

So first of all, what they mean by "all undergrad work" is that you should convert your final marks. Don't worry about the St Andrews system - I can guarantee that no matter where you're applying, you're not the first from across the pond to do so.

Second, I'd call it a 3.75: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/Grade%20Conversion%20United%20States.pdf