ALL Life Sciences Applicants for Fall 2011

Mrs. Bio

Here are my wonky stats:

The Good:

- NSF Fellowship

- 2 manuscripts in peer review as first author

- 2 awards for science poster (1 international conference, 1 national conference)

- Research experience around the globe

- 2 salaried + full benefits research positions (three years of experience)

- 2 research internships

- Multiple merit based scholarships + research grants as a undergrad

The Bad?:

- College: small obscure school w/o grades that no-one has heard of

- GPA (when you can count it...?!?): 3.5ish

- Credits: 320+ credits and counting...

- Major: um ... self designed mix of sugar and spice and everything nice

The Ugly:

- GRE - 550 verbal / 600 quantitative / 5 writing (taken five time already! I really really hate exams...)

- Pre-req's - never took basic chem, bio, calc, or physics (just talked my way straight into upper level courses in my area of focus...)

- eight schools attended... (curiosity to take classes where ever I live...)

Here are my wonky stats:

The Good:

- NSF Fellowship

- 2 manuscripts in peer review as first author

- 2 awards for science poster (1 international conference, 1 national conference)

- Research experience around the globe

- 2 salaried + full benefits research positions (three years of experience)

- 2 research internships

- Multiple merit based scholarships + research grants as a undergrad

The Bad?:

- College: small obscure school w/o grades that no-one has heard of

- GPA (when you can count it...?!?): 3.5ish

- Credits: 320+ credits and counting...

- Major: um ... self designed mix of sugar and spice and everything nice

The Ugly:

- GRE - 550 verbal / 600 quantitative / 5 writing (taken five time already! I really really hate exams...)

- Pre-req's - never took basic chem, bio, calc, or physics (just talked my way straight into upper level courses in my area of focus...)

- eight schools attended... (curiosity to take classes where ever I live...)

That is a wonky profile :) If you're applying to programs/labs where your past research and skills are relevant, I think you have a decent shot, as long as there isn't a hard GRE cutoff to even get your app looked at.

@coffeebuzzbuzz Where are you applying?

I also was in this first round of UMich interview invites. Bioinformatics is my program choice. I will be interviewing the last weekend in January.

I am applying a bunch of places... including UMich. However I have not yet been invited to an interview. This could be because I applied to a different department (not PIBS but same deadline), my wonky background, totally bombing the second phone interview that I had about two months ago, or the prof that I want to work with being friends with one of the profs at a different school that rejected me after the in-person interview.

:( ugh... today I am feeling a tad rejected (cumulative series of events....)

Or maybe they just haven't looked at my application quite yet...

Edited by coffeecoffeebuzzbuzz

I would not get down at all. I was feeling all dejected yesterday as I saw people were getting calls from Mich, but it seems as they are definitely doing it by department not all Mich applicants at the same time. Besides way too early in the game to get down! I was just curious what subdiscipline you were in since you keep referring to the wonky interests!

I would not get down at all. I was feeling all dejected yesterday as I saw people were getting calls from Mich, but it seems as they are definitely doing it by department not all Mich applicants at the same time. Besides way too early in the game to get down! I was just curious what subdiscipline you were in since you keep referring to the wonky interests!

Here are my various points of curiosity that have been squished together...

- Plants

- Insects

- Islands

- Fine Art

- Ecology

- Evolution

- Statistics

- Informatics

- Endemism

- Biogeography

- Landscape Ecology

- Conservation Biology

I agree about the Michigan thing--I think they're doing it by department because I got an invite as well and the first thing she said was that she was from the microbiology department. In fact, she didn't even mention PIBS. Also, I got the phone call on Thursday and she said I should be getting the e-mail soon, but I haven't...do you think I should e-mail them asking about it?

Congrats everyone!

Heard from Scripps California (Immunology Track) and Gerstner Sloan-Kettering today by e-mail. :D Hopefully I can turn down the crazy now and just enjoy my holiday. Good luck everyone!

Congrats everyone!

Heard from Scripps California (Immunology Track) and Gerstner Sloan-Kettering today by e-mail. :D Hopefully I can turn down the crazy now and just enjoy my holiday. Good luck everyone!

Congrats on Scripps! Makes me a bit nervous...but hopefully I will hear from them. I applied for the Chemical Biology track.

Congrats on Scripps! Makes me a bit nervous...but hopefully I will hear from them. I applied for the Chemical Biology track.

Thanks! Congrats on Princeton! The only people I know of who got Scripps invites applied for Immuno, so I wouldn't lose hope yet.

Heard from Princeton Molecular Biology today by phone that I had been invited for an interview!

I LOVED the Princeton MolBio faculty. I hope you have a great time!