My biostats phd chances with only good gpa from a good school?

grass

I've 3.9 gpa from a top 5 school, majoring in math and minoring in stats. I can take all graduate stats classes my senior year.

Too bad I didnt like the 2 REUs I've done. I bombed the 1st one (due to personal problems at the time) and did mediocre on the 2nd.

So my LORs will be pretty bad..

No publications. No other experiences...

What kind of biostats phd programs can I get into? mid tier, lower tier, none at all?

I just want a good advisor with a direction matching my interest and enough funding to house/feed me. I don't care about school name or location ...

I do think I can get a good LOR if I keep going with my 2nd REU. But its direction isnt really my interest so it'll be kind of a drag..

so i dont feel like doing that just so I can get into a better school..

tell me if im wrong here...

im happy as long as im doing worthwhile research and i dont know if better ranked programs can make that much more likely?

Thanks guys!

I've 3.9 gpa from a top 5 school, majoring in math and minoring in stats. I can take all graduate stats classes my senior year.

Too bad I didnt like the 2 REUs I've done. I bombed the 1st one (due to personal problems at the time) and did mediocre on the 2nd.

So my LORs will be pretty bad..

No publications. No other experiences...

What kind of biostats phd programs can I get into? mid tier, lower tier, none at all?

I just want a good advisor with a direction matching my interest and enough funding to house/feed me. I don't care about school name or location ...

I do think I can get a good LOR if I keep going with my 2nd REU. But its direction isnt really my interest so it'll be kind of a drag..

so i dont feel like doing that just so I can get into a better school..

tell me if im wrong here...

im happy as long as im doing worthwhile research and i dont know if better ranked programs can make that much more likely?

Thanks guys!

Have you ever heard of the SIBS program? I would highly recommend it especially if you are pretty sure you want to go into Biostats. There are a few locations throughout the US and if you get in they pay for everything.

http://www.nhlbi.nih...ook/sibsweb.htm

I would suggest doing one at a school that you like so that you can meet faculty before you apply. Keep in mind that this program is fairly competitive, so you might want to apply to a few of the locations.

I would also recommend, if you haven't already, taking some sort of biology class. Not a ton, just maybe one or two might help.

You have a decent chance. Lots of people can do the applied stats work but if you have the theoretical stuff under your belt, you will be fine!

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever heard of the SIBS program? I would highly recommend it especially if you are pretty sure you want to go into Biostats. There are a few locations throughout the US and if you get in they pay for everything.

http://www.nhlbi.nih...ook/sibsweb.htm

I would suggest doing one at a school that you like so that you can meet faculty before you apply. Keep in mind that this program is fairly competitive, so you might want to apply to a few of the locations.

I would also recommend, if you haven't already, taking some sort of biology class. Not a ton, just maybe one or two might help.

You have a decent chance. Lots of people can do the applied stats work but if you have the theoretical stuff under your belt, you will be fine!

I second the recommendation of the SIBS program. I also recommend examining each SIBS site because some of the programs are more research based and others are classroom/hands-on focused. This could also provide you with at least one new rec that will be positive and you may also be favored at that institution for graduate admissions if they already know and like you.

Also, it's better you get a shorter but flattering recommendation from a professor that taught you, than any recommendation that might be negative or veiled neutral. Be very selective about LORs because that can really make a difference in graduate admissions.

Edited by Almost Postdoc