SLP/Communication Disorders Masters Applicants

SJS

Re: Vanderbilt: I received the email from Penny as well as a rejection letter in the mail. I do live about 20 mins from the school, though, so I'd probably be one of the first to hear. The letter said they had a 20% increase in applications this year; I'm guessing the rejections went out first as I'm assuming they used GPA/GRE cutoffs to whittle down the massive amount of applications.

They definitely do that. When I went for my visit they basically said they put all of the applicants into a spreadsheet based on numbers and then cut the bottom whatever-percent right off the bat, based on GPA/GRE and then go from there, just because of the large number of applicants they get.

The director of student services in the SLP department got back to me and said that they were "finalizing their decisions this week and that [they] anticipate [we] will hear quite soon." She also said that Gabrielle should be contacting me soon regarding the notification timeline. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear something :)

Thanks for your help!!

Did you attend UW for postbac? How did you like it?

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to email Gabrielle to see if I can get some clarification and hopefully know the decision sooner. :)

I did attend UW for my post bacc! I will PM you my thoughts on the program.

Has anybody heard back from Nova Southeastern University or know what the process is like? I applied back in October and I am still waiting to hear back. I am getting a little antsy since it is rolling admissions and there is no date.

Thanks

Any one heard from Northeastern?

Northeastern decisions are UP! At least mine was. I didn't get an email to check I just logged on to see if they had anything posted. I was accepted (although conditionally and I have no idea what the conditions are as i have a second bachelors degree and am no longer in school) and I am super excited. Despite being super expensive Boston is one of my favorite cities in the world and I really liked NEU when I went to the open house. Today has been full of responses for me, I don't know how I am going to get any sleep tonight. :D

Did you log into N-you? I logged in there and it said decision available. Then (after freaking out for a min.) I logged back onto the application portal and found it at the bottom where they list all of the parts of your application. The link should say something along the lines of "a decision is now available to view online"

This may sound really dumb, but what is N-you? I just logged into my application portal and I don't have a link : ( Congratulations though!! I looooove Boston and Northeastern!!

This may sound really dumb, but what is N-you? I just logged into my application portal and I don't have a link : ( Congratulations though!! I looooove Boston and Northeastern!!

http://neugrad.askadmissions.net/Vip/Default.aspx

It's the prospective grad students portal. Your admission decision isn't on there but you should see if it is available. I found mine when I logged on to the application at the bottom of that first page. You never know how they are sending them out though. UVA has apparently been notifying people for weeks and I have yet to hear anything.

Thanks. I literally screamed! I love boston too and this was one of my top three schools (rejected from one of the others, wait listed at the second) so I'm pretty happy.

To those awaiting Vandy decisions...I visited the department last December and Dr. Ricketts who is on the admissions team said they are going to call individually on Thursday or Friday of this week for those who were accepted. The rest will receive either an email or letter in the mail. I'm gonna drive myself crazy tomorrow staring at my phone...Uuughh!

Hey everyone!

I am having difficulty deciding on where to go! I was accepted at Georgia State and West Georgia. I also applied to Auburn but I haven't heard anything back from them yet. I did my undergrad at Georgia State and kinda want a change but I'm not sure. Please help by giving your opinion!

Got accepted at Northwestern. :blink: Really surprised as I didn't get invited to their open house. Did this happen to anyone else?

Congratulations! I agree that your invitation must have been the victim of the USPS or administrative error. We have some of the same schools on our list--any idea how you are going to make your decision?

Congratulations! I agree that your invitation must have been the victim of the USPS or administrative error. We have some of the same schools on our list--any idea how you are going to make your decision?

Congrats on all your acceptances as well! Money is probably going to play a main role. I am more interested in clinical work than research (though I'm not ruling it out) so I firmly believe that I will be able to get a good job no matter where I get my education. I am in-state in Illinois, so U of I is high on my list. I visited the other day and was extremely impressed -- I loved it. Then again, if another smaller school offers me a free ride, I may take it. U of I is not cheap and I really don't want to be in massive debt. How are you going to make your decision? I'm assuming you're from Illinois based on your school choices?

congratulations! and maybe your invitation just got lost in the mail?

Thanks! Maybe? I'm not quite sure what the deal is -- that's why I thought I'd ask everyone else. If everyone else who got accepted also got an invitation, I'm assuming it's some sort of error.

Congrats, remmy! :) Do you think you're going to accept their offer?

Probably not. I'm going to go visit, but it's just so expensive that I don't think it's feasible or worth it.

Congrats on all your acceptances as well! Money is probably going to play a main role. I am more interested in clinical work than research (though I'm not ruling it out) so I firmly believe that I will be able to get a good job no matter where I get my education. I am in-state in Illinois, so U of I is high on my list. I visited the other day and was extremely impressed -- I loved it. Then again, if another smaller school offers me a free ride, I may take it. U of I is not cheap and I really don't want to be in massive debt. How are you going to make your decision? I'm assuming you're from Illinois based on your school choices?

Yes, I'm also in Illinois and would like to stay here, but the money is a huge issue, so I'm relieved to hear you say that you're convinced you'll get a good job after finishing almost any program. I think I'm going to have to dedicate a few weeks to feeling happy about getting accepted to some great programs, and then pretty much eliminate NU and TC from my list because of cost.

I also liked U of I when I visited, but I am leaning towards Indiana because the STEPS program is specifically for Spanish-English bilinguals and includes enough funding to compensate for the out-of-state tuition, but I'd like to get my aid package from Temple's bilingual program and visit both schools before deciding. I'm trying to strike a balance between cost, program focus, and location. It's tough to make a decision, but I feel a lot better than when I was waiting for decisions!

I bet you will get a free ride from a smaller school! Northern Illinois would be a nice place to go...

Has anybody heard back from the University of Florida yet?

Like do they notify students by e-mail for acceptances and snail mail for people who are rejected from their program???

Only reason I'm asking is because I heard that they did it by e-mail the past few years but the program director is saying decisions are going to go out by snail mail this year (wondering if it's her way of telling me I'm not getting in). This whole waiting thing is stressing me out, cause this is my #1 school on my list of grad schools :(

Please let me know if you guys hear anything!!! Thanks and congrats to all of you who have gotten accepted to your top school! :)

Hey everyone!

I am having difficulty deciding on where to go! I was accepted at Georgia State and West Georgia. I also applied to Auburn but I haven't heard anything back from them yet. I did my undergrad at Georgia State and kinda want a change but I'm not sure. Please help by giving your opinion!

Hey, as a fellow person from Georgia, I'd say definitely go to Georgia State. That program is super competitive - I got an interview last year, but ultimately did not get accepted. The program at my undergrad (UGA) said that it's an excellent program. Just my two cents!

Hey, as a fellow person from Georgia, I'd say definitely go to Georgia State. That program is super competitive - I got an interview last year, but ultimately did not get accepted. The program at my undergrad (UGA) said that it's an excellent program. Just my two cents!

As a non-Georgian I have to ask what are peoples thoughts on GSU vs. Northeastern? I applied to GSU kinda on a whim (it was always on the long list but took awhile to make it to the sort list) and didn't expect to get in. I have mixed feelings about their approach to the clinical side of the program. On the one hand I love that they fully prepare you to enter the world of being a clinician and on the other I don't like that it adds a summer to the program. Northeastern is located in a city I have wanted to move to (at least for a few years) since I was 15 but Boston is really expensive and it seems like it is a little harder to live away from the hustle and bustle without being way out from school. On the other hand I don't like how much I would have to drive in Atlanta. The students I met at GSU seemed really nice but I feel like I would be an outsider coming from northern CA. The student I spoke to at NEU (who, granted was an undergrad in their accelerated undergrad/masters program) said that students within the grad school could be a little competitive (which is something I wouldn't do well with, at that point we are all going to get jobs, why bother being competitive?) but considering the source wasn't a true masters student I am taking it with a grain of salt. I am leaning towards NEU because it was one of my top choices while applying and GSU did not blow me away when I went on my interview, but I am interested in what others think about these two vastly different programs.

Is there anybody from NY who is planning on going out of state who is worried about not being able to get their TSSLD? TSSLD is a NY State teaching certification requirement in addition to the state licensure for slp for working with kids ages 3+ in basically every setting and is really hard to get if you don't go to grad school in NY. I got into Rush and am really interested in the program, but I want to come back to NY and am worried about this problem. I am not 100% sure if I want to work with adults or children, but I don't want to limit myself in case I do want to work with children. I'm really frustrated because everything I read is really disheartening about how the ny state ed dept is a bureaucratic mess that makes it impossible to get this certification from a program out of state.

Is there anyone who Has an interview for loyola Maryland (foundations program)? I spoke to someone who was in the program before and they said it was a quick, casual interview but now apparently they are having you submit a writing prompt and the interview is with a committee... This is my first interview and I'm starting to get terrified ESP bc this is my top choice. Any advice of what I should expect on a writing prompt or what I should do to practice?? Thank you I appreciate any help! :)

Has anybody heard back from the University of Florida yet?

Like do they notify students by e-mail for acceptances and snail mail for people who are rejected from their program???

Only reason I'm asking is because I heard that they did it by e-mail the past few years but the program director is saying decisions are going to go out by snail mail this year (wondering if it's her way of telling me I'm not getting in). This whole waiting thing is stressing me out, cause this is my #1 school on my list of grad schools :(

Please let me know if you guys hear anything!!! Thanks and congrats to all of you who have gotten accepted to your top school! :)

No, they have yet to make/send decisions. I know in past years they've emailed all decisions (acceptances, waitlists, denials), but it actually wouldn't surprise me if they mail them this year. I'm not really sure what the full story is, but I know they've been debating how to send even acceptances into the undergrad major out for the past couple years (we have to apply to the upper division before our junior year). They have to get approval to be able to email it out...something to do with privacy I think. Maybe the higher-ups told them they had to mail decisions out this year? Like I said, I'm not really sure about all the details, but I have at least heard about this whole mail vs. email debate going on in the department.

I was actually thinking about going down there in person tmrw if I have time between my classes and seeing if I can get any more information, so I'll post anything I find out if I do make it over!