International students studying counselling/ psychotherapy in Canada - How does it look?

FPstudent

Hi there

I'm an international student with a MSc Psychology from the University of Exeter in the UK. I am looking to apply for M.A/ M.ED Counselling programs in Canada in order to work as a psychotherapist. I don't know what the career prospects are like for international students graduating out of counselling courses in Canada. I am aware that there is a demand for counsellors but this does not always translate to increased employment opportunities. It would be a waste of time and effort if I finish the course but am unable to stay and gain the relevant number of training hours or find gainful employment before my visa runs out.

If you are an international student who has applied for/ is currently studying/ has finished these courses - what do you think the job prospects are like after completing the program? And did you face any challenges finding placements for practicum?