International Credential Evaluation - Expensive but Compulsory (??) Is it worth it?

romu22

Hello,

I'm a little frustrated about this. I have applied to different graduate programs in the US, some of them offered by Ivy League and top-10 universities, and all have accepted the official European transcripts document (translated in English) to prove my bachelor's. But for NYU this is not enough and they are asking me to provide a full course-by-course evaluation by WES Services or similar that costs around $200 or $300. 

I'm surprised because many prestigious schools have told me that only require that expensive document from students who have been admitted, while NYU would not even consider the application without that external evaluation, which requires sending documents from Europe to the US and paying ADDITIONAL delivery services.

Has anyone been in the same situation?? Is it worth it paying more than $300 just to be considered for admission?? I have already paid TOEFL, GRE, Admissions Fees....