NSF DDRIG - Cultural Anthropology (January 2024)

greanbeanz

Has anyone heard anything from NSF yet about the anthropology doctoral dissertation grants from January deadline?  My status hasn't updated since the day after submission in January but looks like some past years have started getting results by this time...

The cultural anthropology review panels were April 1-2, 4-5, 8-9, 11-12.

Edited by greanbeanz
added panel dates

Nothing yet for bio but the panels are April 25/26 and May 9/10 so I'm not surprised. Last submission round I didn't hear until December which was a month before the next submission deadline and I was right in the middle of fundability (medium competitive) so I assume if you are not an immediate no or yes you wont hear for a while. Please let me know if you hear anything! 

😮 wow, I am hoping that we hear sooner than June! It appears that nobody from any of the various anthropology fields has received word as of yet, but I will for sure report anything when I do and hope you'll reciprocate. :)  wishing the best for you!

Hey, so my buddy just told me that she and a bunch of others she knows got rejection letters and comments this weekend. Anybody else hear from cultural anthropology / know any updates? My profs made it seem like we'd hear any day now, but seems they haven't edited/updated mine at all yet, going by the dates on the portal.

No idea on timelines lol, I'm bio so its a completely different review process but it feels pretty random. @greanbeanz do you by any chance know how your friend was ranked? She (and others) and you and @anthropollypocket may just be in different review panels than those who were already rejected or you may be ranked more competitively and now they are going through those/figuring out specific funding ability. I also still have no updates since I submitted. 

15 hours ago, anthropollypocket said:

I applied to cultural Jan 2024, no updates since 1/17. But hey, maybe that's a good thing?

Indeed, word has it that no news=good news so I'm hoping that pans out...

13 hours ago, Lemonsour123 said:

No idea on timelines lol, I'm bio so its a completely different review process but it feels pretty random. @greanbeanz do you by any chance know how your friend was ranked? She (and others) and you and @anthropollypocket may just be in different review panels than those who were already rejected or you may be ranked more competitively and now they are going through those/figuring out specific funding ability. I also still have no updates since I submitted. 

Huh, that's kinda interesting. My friend didn't mention how she/they were ranked, but it's good insight knowing that results trickle through at different times depending on your panel allocation. Seems like it's all pretty random, and none of it really means much.

Fingers crossed we all get some good news soon, or at least get put out of our misery!

13 hours ago, Himalayan_Buwoi said:

Waiting for my cult anthro results...any new updates my friends? A chorot of mine got a rejection last friday on..26 April....

Hi there, still no updates from me. Do you happen to know how the declined person was ranked by NSF? Is anyone getting intel from their professors about when we may hear?

1 hour ago, greanbeanz said:

Hi there, still no updates from me. Do you happen to know how the declined person was ranked by NSF? Is anyone getting intel from their professors about when we may hear?

Nothing for me either yet. 

I got a little wink wink that April 25-26 was a DDRIG bio panel from my advisor and they and another professor in my department were both out of town those days (I assume to review proposals although they obviously can't confirm). There is a second panel on May 9-10 with the bio program directors listed but they also oversee other things so idk if that one is for DDRIG or for something else.

My advisor seemed pretty confident I'd hear soon although last round they said that in October and I didn't hear until December lol. From everything I can gather its really individual when you hear, like they finalize each person's results individually so who knows. 

Posted (edited)

Greanbeanz- she got 2 very good  and one fair/poor rating from the three reviewers including a few constructive comments. 

I haven't spoken about this w my professor. When we applied back in Jan, she said we will know the results in May and that was about it. Sorry, couldn't be of much here

Edited by Himalayan_Buwoi

22 hours ago, Lemonsour123 said:

Nothing for me either yet. 

I got a little wink wink that April 25-26 was a DDRIG bio panel from my advisor and they and another professor in my department were both out of town those days (I assume to review proposals although they obviously can't confirm). There is a second panel on May 9-10 with the bio program directors listed but they also oversee other things so idk if that one is for DDRIG or for something else.

My advisor seemed pretty confident I'd hear soon although last round they said that in October and I didn't hear until December lol. From everything I can gather its really individual when you hear, like they finalize each person's results individually so who knows. 

Okay cool, so it appears that the Biology panel is running about two weeks behind the Cultural Anthropology panel in terms of their review dates.

The waiting game has me incredibly anxious. After being turned down by Wenner Gren some weeks back, I've placed too much hope on the NSF...

Posted (edited)

Hi - I haven't received a decision yet, but the date on my status was updated this morning, along with a change of program officer. however, it still shows as pending so I am not sure what this means

Edited by greanbeanz

7 hours ago, greanbeanz said:

Hi - I haven't received a decision yet, but the date on my status was updated this morning, along with a change of program officer. however, it still shows as pending so I am not sure what this means

Might be nothing since your program officer changed so it could just indicate that someone went in and updated who that person is. I will say that my status date was updated a few days before my status changed to declined and my reviews were posted last cycle... hoping for the best for you 🤞

18 hours ago, Lemonsour123 said:

Might be nothing since your program officer changed so it could just indicate that someone went in and updated who that person is. I will say that my status date was updated a few days before my status changed to declined and my reviews were posted last cycle... hoping for the best for you 🤞

Well dang, i had heard of the legend of the 'status date change' curse. Hoping it's not the case for me but managing my expectations now... thanks 

My status got changed on 5/14 and got declined 5/15

It was rated under competitive with three reviewers giving very good, good, and good/fair.

They said more proposals fell under the competitive category so the funding was not enough.

Got really greats  comments as well.

29 minutes ago, Himalayan_Buwoi said:

My status got changed on 5/14 and got declined 5/15

It was rated under competitive with three reviewers giving very good, good, and good/fair.

They said more proposals fell under the competitive category so the funding was not enough.

Got really greats  comments as well.

Really sorry to hear - hope you are not too downhearted. So nice you got great comments though, i found my WG rejection comments supremely useful for reframing my ideas in order to revise for next round. Sounds like it's a competitive year! Am yet to hear of anyone winning - thank you for letting us know though. 

Do you mind sharing if you get an email when you have a result posted, or do you just have to keep checking the portal to see if it's changed? The refreshing is causing me madness

Sorry to hear that @Himalayan_Buwoi :( hopefully the comments are helpful for your dissertation/resubmission. @greanbeanz when I was rejected last round the email only went to my advisor, and when I asked the program coordinator if that was supposed to happen they said yes because the advisor is the the official PI, I found out by refreshing the page. I think acceptances go to both the student and the PI based on previous accounts on gradcafe? Doesn't stop the refreshing... 

Thanks guys. I kept checking. I think it goes to the PI and we get it from them. But fastlane was my every morning portal...

Yeah. It was great because being on the competitive category seems to be the top list- but since many also fell on that category, it goes through different reviews individually to accept/reject to match their funding.

Also I was told by my officer(whom I had emailed) that their review cycle is ongoing and things should be final by Memorial Day weekend. 

Good luck guys. This was my first attempt so will try again addressing their feedback.

Hey there, just got my result back this morning which was a decline. I too am sitting at the 'competitive' level (very good, very good, good), but there's also a bunch of feedback I've got to tackle for the revisions. 
I am attempting to perceive the copious amount of critical feedback as a blessing rather than a bummer, but boy oh boy does it feel like i have a small mountain to climb before the next application round. 

Wishing the best of luck to everyone still in the running!

@Himalayan_Buwoi 

I did hear back a few days ago that I will be recommended for funding. They haven't released comments or ratings to me yet. It was my first try so I'm in disbelief, but those of you applying again, stay hopeful! Most people I know applied twice. Good luck!

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, anthropollypocket said:

I did hear back a few days ago that I will be recommended for funding. They haven't released comments or ratings to me yet. It was my first try so I'm in disbelief, but those of you applying again, stay hopeful! Most people I know applied twice. Good luck!

Congrats!! I'm still pending with no changes lol 

Edited by Lemonsour123