PhD chances - econ bachelors

would appreciate some pointers on whether it's a realistic possibility i'll get into any phd programs - it'd be very good to know because studying for the GRE would be a big time commitment. i am in economics but planning to make the switch to political science, probably something related to (international) political economy and comparative politics.

i have a 1,2 average in a 3-year quant-oriented econ degree (the grade basically corresponds to a first's in the UK system). i have A's in statistics, maths, and econometrics courses and i'll do some empirical work in my thesis. it's one of the best german universities although it's pretty unknown internationally. i have about a year of RA experience and one semester of TA. will get letters from my bosses (one of which is a pretty famous economist), and my thesis supervisor. i plan to take the GRE.

i was thinking about applying to the following schools. basically (top15) - (top5).

- Emory

- UCSD

- Chicago

- Ohio State

- UW Madison

- NYU

- Cornell

- UNC Chapel Hill

- Duke

- Chicago

- UCLA

- Michigan

• 2 months later...

I think you have a decent chance. There is a positive impression towards an econ background, at least in terms of quantitative background. Long term do you want a job in the US or the EU? The field has a strong bias towards its own students.