applying to phd with 3 year bachelors

Hi. I am currently doing my politics bachelors in Europe. The thing is, the program lasts 3 years, unlike the US bachelors that are 4 years in length. I was wondering whether it is possible to get admitted to a US PhD in polisci with just a 3-year bachelors. Most programs state that it is necessary to have a bachelors degree OR an equivalent degree from a foreign university. Do you have any insights on whether it is possible to do so, or even better, if you have been admitted to a PhD in the US with just a 3-year bachelors (but good overall profile). Thanks!!

Hello!
I am also from the typical European 3-year system and while I have done masters before my PhD in the US, I know a handful of 3-year-bachelor graduates that were able to get admitted into top US PhD programs, both in Political Science and Economics. Fyi, there were coming from German and British universities and went to places like Columbia, Princeton and Berkeley.

So, it is definitely possible, but: Everyone that I know with such a path constructed their bachelor study in a very "American" way. This means that they took a lot of quantitative classes (!), wrote a long thesis with (ideally) original research and worked as research assistants for several professors or research programs. Many already had publications and recommendation letters from professors that had a connection to the US PoliSci community. I think all those factors (besides good grades, of course) are key to have a chance at said US programs. However, they would be key even if you would be doing a four-year bachelor or another master.

What I am trying to say is that it is just really difficult to get those central qualifications within just three years of study, which is why most admission committees are critical towards such applicants in the first place. But if you can truly show that you have those credentials from just 3 years, it does not matter that it "just" has been three years. Most 4-year American programs truly are 3-year programs on the subject, since you are not really choosing your major at the start of your first year, anyways.

I have heard and witnessed, however, that the trend goes to admitting students with prior (research) master experience, even with American bachelors. So, if you cannot get into a top program this year, try to do a good and academic master before that allows you to get as close to American academia as possible. But don't fall for the trap of American PoliSci masters, they are mostly just cash cows. UK programs (especially Oxbridge) or some academic programs in Europe (not the professional ones!) are much more worth it. 

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions and good luck!

Edited by JPYSD