MFA 2025 Freak Out Forum

asdjhfgl

I’m finally here; it’s finally my turn to apply for an MFA again and twice. Looking forward to seeing young people’s experiences. Good luck to everyone 

Applying again after last year. Was sadly only put on waitlist and didn't get into any programs so I'm going to try again this year. Not too surprised by that since I had no idea what I was doing and what to expect either. But If anyone has some tips on how to improve my portfolio or for the interview I'd be much appreciated :))

On 9/13/2024 at 1:59 PM, asdjhfgl said:

Where is everyone applying? Why? How many times have you applied to Grad School?

I am applying to RISD, Mass Art, Boston University, and SMFA Tufts (schools in my area) for sculpture. Short list but I'm not willing to move or do a Low-Res (my husband's job is in the area and we have 3 kids to keep stable!). FYI you can sign up for online portfolio reviews outside of the National Portfolio days, RISD's admissions website has many dates/times open for 10 minute reviews and SMFA offers 30 minute reservations! 

Hi all,

I got into one program last year and because I was nowhere near comfortable with going into a ton of debt for that school, I ended up deciding to reapply for different programs! I’m applying to Purchase’s dual degree program, Amherst, Carnegie, and possibly UAlbany. My goal post-grad is to teach, so if anyone has any opinions on programs great for that, let me know! Good luck to everyone!

hi :)

Is there anyone who was waitlisted before and then reapplied and got in the following year? If so, any tips on how to make the application better? dd you change your portfolio a lot or just reapplied with the same documents and all? thanks so much an advance for any help 

• 2 weeks later...

I just started the MFA program at UC Davis this year and I highly recommend giving it a look. The studios are huge and the schedule is very reasonable to allow a lot of studio time. If you TA 10 hours per week, they give you free tuition, no fees and free health care. ie fully funded. Then on top of that, as a TA your stipend is $17,000 per year. If you TA 20 hours per week, it’s double that. Additional five digit funding is available as well but isn’t always guaranteed and therefore isn’t part of the official offer. Rent in Davis is not as bad as the Bay Area nearby. A room in a shared house is under $1000 a month.  

All this is to say nothing of the program which is exceptional. It’s completely interdisciplinary and blends some group critique with a lot of individual study. There are nine visiting artists per year. Many do studio visits. Some teach grad seminars for second year students.

Thats my pitch for Davis. PM me if you have questions.