Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I just found this subsection of gradcafe, so this might only be helpful for anyone applying for next year's cycle. 

Anyone considering becoming a curator straight out of an MA art history program, or transition from MA to selective PhD programs, should really consider the Williams College MA program. Esp of you are low-income/POC. But it really is a good program for anyone. I went to Williams as an undergrad for art history and studio art. 

The program is small, very well-funded, and--with the right attitude--a feeder school to the NYC art world. I was in a lot of grad-level classes and made friends with many of the grad students. They all have impressive jobs, esp for being right out of school. The Whitney, the Met, ICA Boston, Dallas Museum, Mass MoCA, Sotheby's. One's at Harvard PhD. These people all graduated in 2022, so it hasn't been long. 

The program is not for everyone. It's really small, the setting is very tight-laced and boring, the college is almost exclusively an undergrad institution. In the program's favor: incredible alumni network, great museums in the Berkshires, a built-in internship at one of said museums, they build in travel, the location is actually idyllic/stunning if you're into mountainous, rural New England (I am). Williams has a lot of $$$$$$$. I studied there debt-free and so did many of the working-class graduate students. I wanted for nothing when I was there tbh, besides maybe a fun bar to go to. 

  • 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Hello, I'm a year late but I'm hoping this gets to you.

I made a career change from corporate to the art world a few years ago and eventually gained some gallery/artist studio internships in NYC under my belt. But the job market is so tough right now that I've been having trouble finding a full time position. It seems like the absolute minimum for any level position is to have a degree in art history. Williams MA program sounds amazing since there is a higher possibility of it being fully funded for me(im low income/POC) and also their connection to museums(which is where i want to ultimately be at).

I was wondering what kind of potential grad students Williams usually looks for? I studied business in school so I have no art background except for my most recent internships. I'm grateful to even have had these internship opportunities but I don't really feel confident in applying with where I am right now.

Edited by Purple Mangosteen

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use