leggomymeggo Posted November 30, 2025 Posted November 30, 2025 Anyone still on this site or has everyone migrated to other places to chat about grad school applications? This is my first year applying - I applied to Laurier and UofT's advanced standing programs. Average for my last 10 courses (from the BSW) is an 84, which I think ends up being about a 3.8 GPA. I also have an SSW diploma and a BSc in psychology. Between my work and volunteer experience in the field and my placements from my BSW and SSW, I have about 6,300 hours (about 3.5 years) of experience. I also have experience as a sports coach and in customer service, which I feel like I did a good job at framing their transferable skills, but I'm unsure if the schools will end up counting those hours. If they do, my total experience would be closer to 11,500 hours (about 6.5 years). I feel like the personal statement I submitted for UofT was stronger than the one I submitted for Laurier, but we'll see how it goes! Would love to hear how everyone else is feeling after submitting applications!
ASharp Posted December 1, 2025 Posted December 1, 2025 (edited) I’m applying this year (fall 2026) to all 2 year programs: Dalhousie, Carleton, Manitoba, Wilfrid Laurier, and Windsor. I’m an international student, so I feel I’m at a disadvantage there. GPA (last 60 hours, since most ask for that): 3.75/4.00; Overall is a crappy 2.7/4.0 (explained in personal statements). I fall into two different diversity streams. For the schools that accept not necessarily direct human service experience, but experience with difficult people (Carleton, WL, etc): I’m at 16,104 hours (this is the number submitted to WL), programs that require strictly human service experience (Manitoba, Dalhousie, etc.): I’m at just over 9000. I have several year experience dealing with government welfare programs both from the government and nonprofit side. I’ve done welfare, veterans assistant, intellectual disabilities, and a few other areas, so a decent resume. For all my references I sent one from a professor and one from one of my managers from when I worked for the government (except Dalhousie, which required both to be from professors). I’m an older student (32), so my personal statements may have more years to draw from than most, but who knows if that will matter. I feel like my application is pretty good, but with 2 year programs being so competitive, and adding being an international student on top, I may just be average. best of luck to everyone!! Edited December 1, 2025 by ASharp
SamU Posted January 13 Posted January 13 (edited) This is my third year applying. First time around I was fresh out of my BSW with barely any experience. Now I have a lot more due to work experience. I applied to advanced standing programs at Carleton, UofT (Social Justice and Diversity Stream), Waterloo and TMU for a September 2026 start. My GPA is a 3.7/4.0; and I've worked in the field for approximately 6000 hours (including volunteer work). I have two bachelors degrees, including a BSW. I feel like I have a higher chance of getting in this time around compared to last year (I only applied to Laurier for a January 2026 start). I unfortunately didn't get in after being waitlisted. My personal statements are pretty strong and I tailored them to each university's mission and values. Fingers crossed that this time things work out! Edited January 13 by SamU
njd.99 Posted January 22 Posted January 22 (edited) Hey everyone, I applied to UofT’s advanced standing program (HSML & Gerontology) as these are the two specializations that align most with my career aspirations, and both of which happened to be offered by UofT (haha). My undergrad GPA was 3.87 and I have accumulated around 7000 hours of work experience between front line social worker positions in complex dementia care, long-term care facilities, research assistantships, practica and volunteer experience in both elderly focused programs in hospital as well as sitting on a council for provincial initiatives targeted towards youth mental support. I also have a few publications as well. I would say that my social work experience has been with quite a range of different populations, ages and via different modalities (micro/meso/macro) focusing on different social topics that social workers are often aligned alongside. It is my sincere hope that this will act to my benefit throughout the application process, however I have really narrowed in with older adults, dementia care, and working with interdisciplinary teams across clinical settings over the past 3.5 years and intend to continue working with this population and their families. Wishing everyone the best of luck with their applications throughout this process and keeping my fingers crossed for all of you. 😇 Edited January 22 by njd.99
Kjackson1320 Posted February 27 Posted February 27 (edited) Anyone get any news on this? Mine still says pending, looking at the MSW part time online program Edited February 27 by Kjackson1320
leggomymeggo Posted March 2 Author Posted March 2 Not sure how many people are on GradCafe still since this thread is pretty dead compared to previous years, but I was accepted to UofT's full time advanced standing program (Mental Health & Health stream) this morning! Still waiting on a decision from Laurier, but UofT was my first choice. Crossing my fingers that everyone gets application updates soon!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now