Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm waitlisted for their PhD program this year, but then they announced that the department would be consolidated with African and African Diaspora Studies, Mexican American and Latino Studies, and Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Has anyone who has been accepted to one of these depts heard about what the status of the PhD programs might be? I know this will have an effect on SO many potential PhD candidates.

Posted (edited)

I'm in one of their programs currently and it is highly suspected that in the planned 2027 curriculum review, all courses related to gender, race, or sexuality will be eliminated. Right now, they're saying that anyone who is admitted will be able to finish the program they are accepted into because it's required under Texas law, but UT has already shown they have no regard for the law and I wouldn't take that as protection. AMS at UT is a great program, but I really don't recommend coming to UT right now unless it ends up being your only offer. 

Edited by dramaqueentears
Posted

Thanks for the reply. It is good to hear from someone who is currently enrolled in one of their grad programs. It feels like all Texas schools are pretty risky right now, but UT seems especially bad. Good luck in your program!

  • 5 months later...
Posted

I’m particularly interested in Women and Gender Studies, especially topics around gender, identity, and social policy. African Studies and Latin American Studies also seem really interesting, depending on the specific research focus and faculty.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use