Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello, I've received offers from UF and TAMU for a PhD in Statistics starting in the fall and am having trouble deciding. The stipends are about the same, and from what I have seen the cost of living seems about the same too. I am broadly interested in more theoretical statistics, especially time series or stochastic processes. I was able to visit UF and really liked it there, not sure I'll get a chance to visit TAMU. I would really appreciate any input! Thanks

Posted

Both are great schools for statistics. Usually, you could ask for a campus visit, but since the decision deadline is coming up soon, it might be easier to just reach out to some current students and get a better sense of things.
Research-wise, they’re both strong, but the overall environment is quite different. TAMU has a larger department, which means more faculty and potentially broader networking opportunities. UF is smaller, which can mean a more focused program and a different advising structure.
If you’re aiming for academia or theoretical stats, it might help check whether faculty are publishing in top journals like JASA, AoS, JRSS-B, or Biometrika, and whether they’re co-authoring with students. Also, look at where graduates end up. That usually tells you how well the program supports its students.
Both are great options, so it really comes down to which environment you think fits you better.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use