Funding at Rice

Beeroz

Does anyone have any info on Rice's PhD packages? I was told on the phone (a week ago) that I have been offered their "top package," but I still haven't received anything in the mail. I'm nervous about calling just to ask about money, and I've already had a couple phone interviews about the program so I don't think I could pretend to call about something else, haha.

I'm anxious to find out because I got a much higher offer from U. Texas' new program than I was expecting. As a result, I'm considering them a lot more heavily than I had been, but I don't want to spend too much time if the Rice program has enough money to make a similar or better offer.

I focus on Nag Hammadi, Manichaeism, etc, so the Rice program is a better fit, but Michael White at UT is heading a dig at Ostia. He promised me a funded spot at the dig for the next few summers, and that is a big enough draw to me that I wouldn't mind moving my focus a bit more into NT studies (which I am already doing anyway).

Annnnyway, all this to ask if any of you know what I might expect the offer from Rice to look like.

I'd also be interested to hear what you all think of the way Texas' program is shaping up.

Why have I only heard from schools in Texas? Whats up new england? WE'RE WAITING!!

Edited by Beeroz

You should just call and ask. Or email someone you've been in contact with. Especially if you have already been offered a spot (as well as a spot at another school). You know they want you (especially if you've been offered the 'top package'). The games are over - now you can talk freely with them about your concerns and questions. If you have another offer, it doesn't hurt to let them know that you would like to know the package so you can make an informed decision as quickly as possible. Of course, if they really want you they can always up the ante. I've heard it has been done before.

Does anyone have any info on Rice's PhD packages? I was told on the phone (a week ago) that I have been offered their "top package," but I still haven't received anything in the mail. I'm nervous about calling just to ask about money, and I've already had a couple phone interviews about the program so I don't think I could pretend to call about something else, haha.

I'm anxious to find out because I got a much higher offer from U. Texas' new program than I was expecting. As a result, I'm considering them a lot more heavily than I had been, but I don't want to spend too much time if the Rice program has enough money to make a similar or better offer.

I focus on Nag Hammadi, Manichaeism, etc, so the Rice program is a better fit, but Michael White at UT is heading a dig at Ostia. He promised me a funded spot at the dig for the next few summers, and that is a big enough draw to me that I wouldn't mind moving my focus a bit more into NT studies (which I am already doing anyway).

Annnnyway, all this to ask if any of you know what I might expect the offer from Rice to look like.

I'd also be interested to hear what you all think of the way Texas' program is shaping up.

Why have I only heard from schools in Texas? Whats up new england? WE'RE WAITING!!

If anyone was curious, turns out its a standard package.

Tuition remission and a 16k stipend.

No teaching required, but some 'light work' is expected over the five years of guaranteed funding.

got the letter today hehe

Wow, excellent!! Congrats, that is a really great package!!

Thanks very much! Now if Penn, Yale, Indiana, and Harvard would just send out their letters I could start to make some decisions!