Negotiating the Offer?

I've been advised that yes, it is OK to negotiate for a better offer. However, regarding how to go about it eloquently, I'm at a loss. I doubt saying "School A gave me $28,000 a year in support for the first 4 years... think you can match it Quincy?" is gonna fly.

• 1 year later...

I have the same question. My adviser strongly encouraged me to say something like "hey I like your school, but I have other offers that I will have to consider the financial aspects of before making a decision," but I'm still confused about what to say exactly...

In my case, the school that offered me the comparatively worse offer of the two emailed me first, telling me to inform them of admissions elsewhere and the financial aid I am being offered elsewhere so that they can try to make their package more competitive. I also talked to the graduate director on visiting day and made sure to make a point of saying that this school definitely seemed to be my top choice in terms of research fit, but that I also had a better offer elsewhere and asked what he could do about that (he specifically told us to come talk to him after one of our sessions if we had such concerns).