Anyone heard from UVA or Ohio State PhD?

Ujjawal

Is there anyone who has heard anything from UVA or OSU? I have seen a few acceptance for UVA and OSU on results board already in feb. I had also talked with some successful UVA applicants and they provided a good lot of information. But i am very anxious now and going mad of all this waiting. I haven't came across many applicants for these universities on the forum. They are my last hope. so people who are waiting on any of these universities, please post anything useful that you may have. Please share your thoughts on any of these two.

Thank you.

I also applied to UVA and have not heard anything back from them. :( The last interview weekend for my intended program (MII) is around March 10-12. So I am not really keeping my hopes up. In which program did you apply?

I applied to Computer science. CS also had a visiting weekend in the last week of feb. Yet to hear anything from them.

I applied to both UVA and OSU. I got an admit in early February from UVA and went to their visitation weekend last week. I have not heard anything back from OSU.

Ya I figured it out, from your replies to adinutzyc. Congrats on your admit. By the how many of you were at the visiting weekend? Have you got funding?

In UVA i Applied to wireless sensor networks and embeded systems

and in OSU i applied to Networks.

Where did you applied?

I have also applied to the same area in both schools that you have. Have you heard anything from them or from any Professor in those schools?

Ya I figured it out, from your replies to adinutzyc. Congrats on your admit. By the how many of you were at the visiting weekend? Have you got funding?

There were about 15 people at visitation weekend. Yes, I got a teaching assistantship. Most people I talked with seemed set on UVA, but there were a couple with offers from higher ranked schools, so they may free up some funding if they choose elsewhere.

I was another of the 14 who attended UVA's visitation weekend. Like fangsout, I was admitted in early February with TA funding (the unofficial department email came on Feb 1, with the funding details sent by USPS about a week later). I'm going to visit UNC-CH on March 25, so I won't be able to make a decision until the end of the month. (My interests are theory, algorithms, and computational geometry.)

[edit: added details]

Edited by Ron!

I have also applied to the same area in both schools that you have. Have you heard anything from them or from any Professor in those schools?

No I haven't heard anything yet. But I think the people who have heard from UVA have applied to graphics, theory. I haven't yet come across anyone accepted for wireless sensors and networks. And from what I know the admit about 20 people every year and 14 of them have attended the visiting weekend. Its going to be tough getting in unless some nice guys who got offers from higher ranked universities choose to decline the the offer from UVA.

There were about 15 people at visitation weekend. Yes, I got a teaching assistantship. Most people I talked with seemed set on UVA, but there were a couple with offers from higher ranked schools, so they may free up some funding if they choose elsewhere.

can you tell me that your acceptance mail came from the professor or the department? were you in contact with the POI or some professor?

can you tell me that your acceptance mail came from the professor or the department? were you in contact with the POI or some professor?

I received a form letter e-mail from an administrative assistant in the department. I had been in contact with a professor prior to my admission, but he has never spoken to me about my admission, only about research interests.

I received a form letter e-mail from an administrative assistant in the department. I had been in contact with a professor prior to my admission, but he has never spoken to me about my admission, only about research interests.

Thanks fangsout, Your information is very helpful. Actually I am very nervous at this moment. I have heard that they admit people as late as june, but being a foreign student it will be a problem due to visa issues. Do you know anything more that will be useful for me?

Thanks fangsout, Your information is very helpful. Actually I am very nervous at this moment. I have heard that they admit people as late as june, but being a foreign student it will be a problem due to visa issues. Do you know anything more that will be useful for me?

I'm sorry but I don't know anything else. My approach has always been to try to find a professor that I can communicate with and have similar interests, and then apply to the schools where I've found professors that seem interested in me. After applying, you're kind of stuck until you get admitted. After getting admitted I then focus on finding a research assistantship by contacting the professors that I previously mentioned. If I were in your shoes, I would try,it's tough I know, to not get too worried and maybe contact departments once per month to see where you stand.

I'm sorry but I don't know anything else. My approach has always been to try to find a professor that I can communicate with and have similar interests, and then apply to the schools where I've found professors that seem interested in me. After applying, you're kind of stuck until you get admitted. After getting admitted I then focus on finding a research assistantship by contacting the professors that I previously mentioned. If I were in your shoes, I would try,it's tough I know, to not get too worried and maybe contact departments once per month to see where you stand.

Ya its tough but it takes some pain to get an admit to Phd. I mailed to some professors mentioning about my research interests and also some research papers of the professor that I enjoyed reading. But I was not lucky enough to get reply. Anyways I will keep continue waiting and will try to do as you mentioned. Thank you so much. you have been a great help.

Ya its tough but it takes some pain to get an admit to Phd. I mailed to some professors mentioning about my research interests and also some research papers of the professor that I enjoyed reading. But I was not lucky enough to get reply. Anyways I will keep continue waiting and will try to do as you mentioned. Thank you so much. you have been a great help.

I just saw this post and I just want to ask: if you are accepted to both schools, which one will you go to?

I was accepted for admission from UVa (with funding) in Feb and was invited for a visit to OSU last week so if things go well, OSU might just offer me the admission as well. I think I might have to make this decision in the coming week.

Thanks,

I just saw this post and I just want to ask: if you are accepted to both schools, which one will you go to?

I was accepted for admission from UVa (with funding) in Feb and was invited for a visit to OSU last week so if things go well, OSU might just offer me the admission as well. I think I might have to make this decision in the coming week.

Thanks,

I am not sure about where I will be going as I am a foreign student so I will be having difficulty in knowing the pros and cons of the two cities. As of now I will be a bit inclined towards UVA because there are many good professors working in my area of interest. But if I get admit in both of them then I will definitely check for the funding difference from both universities, living costs, students life because we need to spend a good 6 years there. you are in US so it should be easy for you to think about it. But I will be more inclined to UVA because of my interest.

congrats for your admit.

Edited by Ujjawal

I would look at how well the research projects at each school fit my interests. Also, which school has more professors working on interesting things, in case a professor cannot fund you. As for comparing extra-curricular stuff, OSU is a HUGE state school with great athletics, whereas UVA is a more selective state school that prides itself on being a "public ivy". Very different feel on each campus. Weather is colder at OSU, and UVA is close to the Blue Ridge Mountains for hiking and skiing.

I would look at how well the research projects at each school fit my interests. Also, which school has more professors working on interesting things, in case a professor cannot fund you. As for comparing extra-curricular stuff, OSU is a HUGE state school with great athletics, whereas UVA is a more selective state school that prides itself on being a "public ivy". Very different feel on each campus. Weather is colder at OSU, and UVA is close to the Blue Ridge Mountains for hiking and skiing.

Thanks guys for your input, I am also an international student and my interest is in Software engineering. Is either schools more illustrious than the other in term of my particular interest? I dont have a life so I am not concerned with sports or weather :D

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw an acceptance on the result board for Ohio state university. I think they are rolling now. last year there were acceptances on 16,17,18,22,23,25 march. might be following the same trend.

Just saw an acceptance on the result board for Ohio state university. I think they are rolling now. last year there were acceptances on 16,17,18,22,23,25 march. might be following the same trend.

Congrats Ujjawal. I am still awaiting the decision. I really hope that they accept me.

Congrats Ujjawal. I am still awaiting the decision. I really hope that they accept me.

Thanks beans but i think I made a mistake in posting the message. I have seen the acceptance on the gradcafe result board. There was another acceptance posted on gradcafe results board this morning.

I am in the same boat with you. I am still awaiting the acceptance. My application is in review since feb1. But we can hope some decision soon now.

Thanks beans but i think I made a mistake in posting the message. I have seen the acceptance on the gradcafe result board. There was another acceptance posted on gradcafe results board this morning.

I am in the same boat with you. I am still awaiting the acceptance. My application is in review since feb1. But we can hope some decision soon now.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Good luck.