Master's before Ph.D.

fumblewhat

So, I’ve applied to East Asian and Japanese Studies master’s programs, with an eye to preparing myself for PhD study in cultural anthropology. I’ve been accepted to more schools than I expected – I didn't think I'd have any choice in the matter, but now that I do, I don’t know how to decide!

There’s a lot of advice on the board about this for PhD level applicants – but what about for masters students hoping to apply for PhD programs in the future? Does anyone have a sense of what factors should be given the most weight in choosing a program?

In my case specifically, I'm wondering how much to consider the fit or repuation of potential adivsors, and whether it matters if I attend a "presitgious" school or not. For example, would a degree from any of the programs I’ve been admitted to (see below) give me an advantage for Anthropology Ph.D. admissions? If not, what should I be considering when making my deicision?

Any thoughts?

Similarly, I've been wondering what constitutes a good funding package for an MA, i'm on the verge of accepting an offer, but i'll be hovering at the poverty line in terms of the money they're giving me... BUT they're giving me money? is that good enough?

Similarly, I've been wondering what constitutes a good funding package for an MA, i'm on the verge of accepting an offer, but i'll be hovering at the poverty line in terms of the money they're giving me... BUT they're giving me money? is that good enough?

From what I've gathered from my adivsers, any kind of funding package for an MA in anthropology is a good funding package. Its a rarity! Congratulations!

From my experience, the most important question you need to ask yourself is 'is my application strong enough to be accepted to a PhD program without a Master's?". I think the question of prestigious uni v. best fit completely depends on the PhD program you apply to. Either way, your application will be quite strong with a proven record of anthropological research and understanding of social theory that you will gain from a master's program.

Good luck mate.

Sure, some application committees might prioritize a student with a degree from a prestigious university while others may give priority to the content of the student's master's thesis. Therefore, a choice between the prestigious uni and the best fitting program may limit some opportunities, but will surely open up others.

Could you elaborate?

Thanks. If I get any offers from masters programs I will take that into account.*

*impact of admission to prestigious grad school may have destructive impact on my rationality rolleyes.gif

Sure, some application committees might prioritize a student with a degree from a prestigious university while others may give priority to the content of the student's master's thesis. Therefore, a choice between the prestigious uni and the best fitting program may limit some opportunities, but will surely open up others.

I definitely see your point here. I kind of had the same thought. The thing is though, all of the schools I'm looking at are relatively good fits. Three of them I could classify as excellent fits. And as far as I can tell (and please enlighten me if otherwise) they're all strong programs in either East Asian Studies, Anthropology or both.

So how might I go about whittling them down? If the percieved quality ("prestige") of the program is out of the picture, what criteria would you look at?