Any Chance at a U.S. Masters Program??

AH MA Hopeful

Hi everyone- I know everyone is in this crazy phase of hearing back from schools at the moment, but I'm hoping that someone can chime in and give me some insight.

Everyone who has posted anything about grades has pretty much had > 3.5 GPA for undergraduate.

I know grad school applications are based on more than just GPA, but I know it's still really important. Is this pretty much the cut-off? What about for someone who has a high major GPA, but low cumulative GPA because of unrelated courses?

I'd appreciate any input!

A low cumulative won't necessarily preclude your acceptance anywhere, but the lower it is the more you will need to make up for it with other items in your application packet. For a national top-tier school, most - if not all - of the applicants have a high GPA to begin with, and many have high GRE scores as well. Then from there you have acceptances rates that are consistently in the single digits. That said, if you have a strong and clear research fit, LORs and statement of purpose, you could do just fine. Grad school admissions is much less of a numbers game than undergrad in the US. There are cases every year of applicants with less than stellar numbers who get accepted to top programs. You can find "stats" all over these forums from applicants in different fields so you can get an idea of where you need to be to have at least an outside chance.

Best of luck!

Gunner24 - Thanks so much for your response! I was under the impression that GRE scores did not matter much. I've heard that they're mostly just used to determine funding, but that it isn't heavily weighed in deciding whether someone should or should not be accepted to a program. Is there any truth in this?

Gunner24 - Thanks so much for your response! I was under the impression that GRE scores did not matter much. I've heard that they're mostly just used to determine funding, but that it isn't heavily weighed in deciding whether someone should or should not be accepted to a program. Is there any truth in this?

No. For one thing, an acceptance without funding is not a great position to be in. For another, these programs are inundated with applications competing for fewer spots. They have to make hard and fast lines somewhere, and GREs are one way of culling the numbers. Finally, even if the department doesn't use GRE scores as cutoffs, graduate divisions do.

Hi everyone- I know everyone is in this crazy phase of hearing back from schools at the moment, but I'm hoping that someone can chime in and give me some insight.

Everyone who has posted anything about grades has pretty much had > 3.5 GPA for undergraduate.

I know grad school applications are based on more than just GPA, but I know it's still really important. Is this pretty much the cut-off? What about for someone who has a high major GPA, but low cumulative GPA because of unrelated courses?

check out this thread:

You might have to wow them in other areas and/or apply to a wide range of schools, but I wouldn't give up hope!

I wouldn't worry too much about a lowish cumulative GPA. Personally, I had a 3.4 cum and 3.85 in art history and have been accepted to UT Austin, Colorado-Boulder, and UNM with UCLA as my only rejection. I'm still waiting on Tulane though, so knock on wood!

As for GRE scores determining funding, I'm not sure this is true either. I scored 600 verbal, 680 quant, 5.0 and received full funding and TA positions at CU and UNM. The strength of my application was not at all reflected in my cum GPA or GRE, but rather my SOP, research/writing experience (award-winning undergrad thesis, a volunteer position as assistant tribal historian to the Muwekma-Ohlone Tribe, and a job with Stanford University's Department of Archaeology), and LORs. These three factors are the ones which seem to matter most, as they are the best at determining how much you know and how much you can grow.

My final piece of advice would be to really know the programs and POIs you're applying to. If you have a strong SOP, LOR, and experience with research interests that resonate with the program/POI, you stand a MUCH greater chance of being accepted. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

GPA is only one small factor beating up against many (much) larger factors. Yes, as someone said before, GPA + GRE + SOP + LOR are all part of the package, but you must also consider your professional and research experiences. Have you done internships? Were they worthy internships (meaning, you didn't just fill in a database, you actually did legitimate research)? Have you won any grants or fellowships? Have you done study abroad? Do you know a foreign language or two very, very well (as in, you feel comfortable writing in it)? Have you presented at a symposium or conference? Have you assisted a professor in research or teaching? These factors are also VERY important and having ANY one of these puts you ahead of many in the game, especially if you think G+G+S+L is going to make or break you.