Visiting Schools and meeting POIs

LEJ1758

Hey everyone-

I just wanted to see who was planning on visiting the schools they were accepted to before the April 15th deadline, and what you were planning on asking.

There is probably a old topic about this very subject, but I feel it is important to resurrect as we have heard from most, if not all, of the schools we applied to and are starting the decision process.

I have meetings with two POIs this upcoming month, and boy am I nervous!

I wouldn't be nervous. You're already accepted! Congrats!

It is the school's job now to convince you that you should accept their offer. I have one visit under my belt so far and one of the million things I looked for was camaraderie. I don't want to go to a school where I feel like I have to fight for my position everyday. It's also a good idea to ask other grad students about the particulars - teaching load, summer opportunities, places to live.

POI's - for me, just having an intellectual conversation with them in person I think reveals quite a bit. Mainly, you will be able to tell if your pursuits and approaches mesh well. I would also suggest making appointments with other faculty that may be interested in working with you if your school is open to that.

Good Luck!