Anyone admitted to JHU going to the Open House next week? I haven't seen much discussion of this program on here, but since I am interested in Health Policy JHU might be a good fit. Admissions staff have been really helpful and responsive so far. Anyone else have similar experiences? Not to mention I received a pretty generous award package.

I was admitted and considering it as well. Im leaning more towards non-profit management, but their public health school is so strong that it makes me want to reconsider :P

Also, they mentioned 3 students would be allowed to take classes at SAIS, which is something I'm also very interested in.

I am still waiting for my letter with the info. I'm on the west coast so it might take some time :/

I got mine yesterday, and I live in Arlington, VA, so you should see yours soon! The packet didn't include much more information about the Open House, except that it is an all day affair.

I was admitted and considering it as well. Im leaning more towards non-profit management, but their public health school is so strong that it makes me want to reconsider :P

Also, they mentioned 3 students would be allowed to take classes at SAIS, which is something I'm also very interested in.

I am still waiting for my letter with the info. I'm on the west coast so it might take some time :/

Hi guys! I was accepted as well with a very generous package and I am seriously considering. They seem very professional and organised, compared to Harris School where they lost my file and did not notify me at all!!!!!

Good luck with your decisions!

I'm curious to hear why people are going to choose JHU. I've also been admitted to Minnesota, but waiting to hear on funding. JHU has offered to pay for almost half tuition. I feel like JHU would be a better/different experience for me as I went to a huge public school. Attending a smaller program with more personalized attention would be very beneficial for me.

I'm not sure what I am going to specialize in. I'm interested somewhere within international development/non-profit policy but I've had a lot of healthcare experience, so I would like to use that experience towards whatever I end up doing, thus being able to take classes at Bloomberg would be a huge plus.

I won't be able to make the visit day on Thursday, unfortunately. The short notice and expensive flights make it impossible. I am going to try to make it out there at a later time, but would really, really appreciate people's impressions of the school after the visit.

I'll be happy to try to summarize my experience on Thursday. In the meantime the thread from last year contains a pretty good summary, which you can find here:

I would think these points are still valid.

I'm curious to hear why people are going to choose JHU. I've also been admitted to Minnesota, but waiting to hear on funding. JHU has offered to pay for almost half tuition. I feel like JHU would be a better/different experience for me as I went to a huge public school. Attending a smaller program with more personalized attention would be very beneficial for me.

I'm not sure what I am going to specialize in. I'm interested somewhere within international development/non-profit policy but I've had a lot of healthcare experience, so I would like to use that experience towards whatever I end up doing, thus being able to take classes at Bloomberg would be a huge plus.

I won't be able to make the visit day on Thursday, unfortunately. The short notice and expensive flights make it impossible. I am going to try to make it out there at a later time, but would really, really appreciate people's impressions of the school after the visit.

Thanks SCDP! (great name btw.. )

I think my decision has just been made for me. Minnesota didn't give me any money :( Really wish I could go to meet potential future classmates.

I'm technically still waiting to hear back from 4 more schools but its not looking good. Most people have heard back (except Evans) and usually those who are funded hear back sooner than the unfunded. May not necessarily be the case, so I'm going to wait it out...

Just realized JHU with the tuition scholarship will cost about the same as total cost of attendance at UMN. So its really going to boil down which school is better for me and my interests... sigh. I thought all the hard work was done for me =/

Thanks SCDP! (great name btw.. )

I think my decision has just been made for me. Minnesota didn't give me any money :( Really wish I could go to meet potential future classmates.

I'm technically still waiting to hear back from 4 more schools but its not looking good. Most people have heard back (except Evans) and usually those who are funded hear back sooner than the unfunded. May not necessarily be the case, so I'm going to wait it out...

I was very impressed after the Open House today. Did anyone else attend? What were your thoughts? It seems like the students, faculty and staff are all very proud of the program and I felt a very congenial atmosphere. The program is extremely structured for the first semester, which starts with a capstone type course, and then really opens up the second year allowing for students to tailor their own program with access to numerous schools at JHU. As someone interested in Public Health I am excited at the prospect of taking classes at the Bloomberg school, but you can also go to the Business school or even SAIS (3 students).

Last year all graduates were placed in policy jobs within 3 months of graduation. Although there is no career counselor in house faculty seem to be very involved and use their networks to connect students with opportunities that fit their interest. The small program size seems to allow for professors to really get to know each student. Also, Dr. Carey Borkoski, the Assistant Director, seems to personally care about every student getting the most out of the program.

I was very impressed with how friendly this program seems.

At first I thought the only benefit of Baltimore would be the low cost of living (compared to DC!). However, it seems like IPS really utilizes its location. Many of the current students spoke about the openness of Baltimore city officials to reasearch/input from the institute, and many opportunities for substantive experience that this leads to. I didn't hear any complaints about life in the city.

I am attending 3 more open houses before making a final decision, but must say JHU is very high on my list currently.

Hi sterlingcooperdraperprice and thanks for sharing your experience from the open house day. I am a an international student and my main concern is the placement of international graduates in the market.

The fact that within 3 months everyone got a job, is encourging, but I am worried a bit about the reputation of the program generally in the country, and specifically in the context of private sector jobs, since an international has limited job opportunities.

One of the major advantages is the close relation between faculty and students at all levels, indeed and I am happy to hear that from a prospective student (so far faculty only claimed it). Although I still expect replies from my top choices (harris, sipa), I feel that I am not going to get a better financial offer than JHU's so it seems that it will be my final choice.

Good luck with your decisions and thanks again for the info.

I was very impressed after the Open House today. Did anyone else attend? What were your thoughts? It seems like the students, faculty and staff are all very proud of the program and I felt a very congenial atmosphere. The program is extremely structured for the first semester, which starts with a capstone type course, and then really opens up the second year allowing for students to tailor their own program with access to numerous schools at JHU. As someone interested in Public Health I am excited at the prospect of taking classes at the Bloomberg school, but you can also go to the Business school or even SAIS (3 students).

Last year all graduates were placed in policy jobs within 3 months of graduation. Although there is no career counselor in house faculty seem to be very involved and use their networks to connect students with opportunities that fit their interest. The small program size seems to allow for professors to really get to know each student. Also, Dr. Carey Borkoski, the Assistant Director, seems to personally care about every student getting the most out of the program.

I was very impressed with how friendly this program seems.

At first I thought the only benefit of Baltimore would be the low cost of living (compared to DC!). However, it seems like IPS really utilizes its location. Many of the current students spoke about the openness of Baltimore city officials to reasearch/input from the institute, and many opportunities for substantive experience that this leads to. I didn't hear any complaints about life in the city.

I am attending 3 more open houses before making a final decision, but must say JHU is very high on my list currently.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Heartening to hear about the positive approach from all the prospective students. I am also an admitted student and considering it alongwith UMaryland... I agree with most of the things written here... I have been in touch with a couple of alumni from the institute and their feedback has also been good...

For international students placement wouldn't be as easy as local students.. At IPS international students are strongly advised to intern at corporate companies (as against local students who can find employment with government), and this internships are in turn converted to final placements... The advantage here is that corporates are open to filing for your immigration status change as compared to government agencies and NGOs....

The biggest advantage with IPS is that the John Hopkins brand preceeds its reputation. Hence it is much easier to find jobs in other parts of the country as well...

Hope this answers some of the queries pertaining to international students in this forum!!

JHU IPS is also top on my list as of now... Hope to see the class of 2013 soon!!

Best...