University of Chicago MAPH

grad2be

Is anyone here waiting on a decision from the Master of Arts in the Humanities Program (MAPH) at the University of Chicago?

Yep! Referred from the Committee on Social Thought.

Yep! Referred from the Committee on Social Thought.

That's awesome. So they referred you to MAPH instead of the Master of Arts Program in the Social Sciences (MAPSS)? I've been wondering what the real difference is between the two programs — it looks like MAPH students can take anything in the social sciences as well.

They are supposed to mail letters by Friday, and some people may receive an e-mail.

That's awesome. So they referred you to MAPH instead of the Master of Arts Program in the Social Sciences (MAPSS)? I've been wondering what the real difference is between the two programs — it looks like MAPH students can take anything in the social sciences as well.

They are supposed to mail letters by Friday, and some people may receive an e-mail.

They did, and I was relieved! The Committee would have been good for my projects, but not so much MAPSS, so I was grateful for the MAPH referral. How'd you find out about letters going out?

Do you have any idea how they decide who is going to get paper letters and who is going to get emails?

They did, and I was relieved! The Committee would have been good for my projects, but not so much MAPSS, so I was grateful for the MAPH referral. How'd you find out about letters going out?

Do you have any idea how they decide who is going to get paper letters and who is going to get emails?

I spoke to an AD for MAPH. She said "some may receive an e-mail." She didn't give me any more details about why some people may receive an e-mail instead of a letter. However, it doesn't seem like anyone, except perhaps one person, has posted a decision for MAPH-only admissions, so maybe they didn't send anything by e-mail after all.

An alternative, and sad, explanation may be that only people who are being offered partial funding will receive an e-mail. The number of people receiving funding through MAPH-only admissions is probably very low (several PhD rejects have already been offered funding) so that it makes it less likely that one of those few will actually post to this site.